Skip Navigation

member status/number of posts

Travel Forums System Talk member status/number of posts

Page
  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

11. Posted by Peter (Admin, 5355 posts) 19 Dec '11 03:20

Hmm, right then, guess it needs more investigation :)

12. Posted by Herr Bert (Moderator, 1370 posts) 2 Feb '12 12:23

Well it is not about the counts of the posts, but it is still counting, and I don't want to open an new topic:

When I edit a post of a spammer in the Wiki Guide, and I remove 2000 characters, I noticed that these 2000 are deducted from my count. So at the moment I have a lot less characters on my name, than a year ago, as I didn't write that much last year. It's not the biggest problem in the world, but still a bit strange. (and this way I never get to a million.)

13. Posted by Sander (Moderator, 4275 posts) 2 Feb '12 12:34

As the only thing I ever do in the wiki is fix up typos or delete spammers, I currently have -3372 guide characters to my name.

*should set himself the goal of reaching minus 1 million characters before Herr Bert reaches plus 1 million* :D

[ Edit: Edited on 02-Feb-2012, at 12:35 by Sander ]

14. Posted by Herr Bert (Moderator, 1370 posts) 2 Feb '12 12:45

In a way having a minus number of characters is pretty cool.

15. Posted by Utrecht (Moderator, 5537 posts) 4 Feb '12 04:38

Seems that there are more 'problems' related to numbers/stats/calculations etc.

Noticed a few times (including one I just made in the Buenos Aires) article that when reverting it back to the previous (or several before) version, it doesn't withdraw the number of characters which were added in the first place. And I don't mean a few characters off, but like a totally different number. It should have been well over 300 in the BA article and it was just 100?????
Seen this before by others as well.

16. Posted by Peter (Admin, 5355 posts) 5 Feb '12 02:27

That's really bizarre. I ran some tests. Comparing the two versions in the database did result in -100 as the correct difference. Comparing them by copying/pasting out into a file resulted in more like 300. Looking at the difference in the history also looked more like 300. The comparison that is made in the code is not directly done through the database, but still it came up with 100. All to say, I have no answers for this, but do agree that it is inaccurate. The reduction should clearly have been 300.

17. Posted by Sander (Moderator, 4275 posts) 5 Feb '12 02:53

Could it be due to linebreaks? If the one version has windows \n\r linebreaks and the other has normal \n linebreaks (and that maybe differs per section based on which edit link different people have used in the past), differences can come up depending on the tool used to diff.

18. Posted by Peter (Admin, 5355 posts) 5 Feb '12 14:33

Aha, yes of course. It would be the linebreaks. Was looking more at unicode characters myself, which also displayed some interesting differences, but the linebreaks things makes a lot more sense. Will sort out a fix for this.

19. Posted by Peter (Admin, 5355 posts) 5 Feb '12 21:47

Ok, so I've uploaded a fix that will stop this happening in the future. It will clean up those windows carriage returns before inserting into the database.

I've also re-processed everything that was in the history to ensure that there are no carriage returns in there any more. All things going well, you should see accurate numbers when editing from here on. You'll also see a small drop in the character counts on the wiki stats page (if you are paying close enough attention).

I decided not to recalculate all the length differences though. It can be done, but there's a lot more processing and I don't really want to mess with it. Hope you're all ok with that :)

Page
  • 1
  • 2