I am planning a 7 day roundtrip on Iceland this summer - well 6,5 days really. So doing the Ring Road (++) is a stretch. But I am aware of the distance (although I hope there are few areas with unsurfaced roads along the ring road?). This is my preliminairy plan (with some questions). Any thoughts on the feasibility or other? And I am really undecided and insecure about how to do the area between Skaftafell and Reykjavik.
Arriving early at Keflavik. Driving directly to Snæfellsnes Peninsula, with my focus being on the Arnarstapi-Hellnar coast, and stops around the coast (e.g. Dritvik?). By my account I should be able to be at Arnarstapi about 6 pm. Arriving after sunset til stay on Grundarfjördur or somewhere in that region.
- Being a four-hour drive (without stops) - is there 1 or 2 useful stops to stretch legs beforre arriving at Arnarstapi?
A transport day to Husavik (about 500 km according to some road planner calculations)! So not very much else than driving. I assume Goðafoss is a natural stop. And dinner at Akureyri. Not much else planned than that.
- With icelandic roads and everything - how many hours of driving would that be? (8-11?)
- Suggestions for shorter stops along the route?
Exploring the area. First along Ásbyrgi to Dettifoss. Then heading for Reykjahlíð where I plan to stay overnight. Explore the Myvatn area, with short walks/hikes to the nearby attractions like Dimmuborgir.
- How is the roads from Ásbyrgi via Dettifoss to the ring road? I saw it mentioned that it should be improved by now? Drivable with 2wd?
Another transport day. Following the Ring road through the east to Höfn (410 km), after warming up at the Myvatn Nature Bath. Maybe adding a detour to Seyðisfjörður (to eat, and to actually see one of the east fjords ).
- What's the road quality along the ring road here?
- Any essential stops?
- Hike to Hengifoss - waste of time or a great way to break up a day with much driving?
Startid the day driving to Skaftafell early in the morning. Spending 5 or 6 hours there.
Now I am not sure about much. I think I'll end up in Vik. I would like to take in the scenery in the region of Landmannalaugar and/or Thorsmork.
- But how to do that with a 2wd? Is there any tours I could connect with?
- Any ideas on how what to do (any suggestions for day 5 and 6 would be very much appreciated!)
From Vik to Reykjavik. I've got to visit the Golden Circle attractions. (Vestmannaeyjar comes highly recommended to me - so skipping that hurts a bit, but...). Is it doable to also visit Hjalparfoss/Stong - or is it better to spend more time along the route without any detours?
After a city stroll in the morning - it's time to leave