Skip Navigation

Too old to apply for Oz working visa :( !!!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Too old to apply for Oz working visa :( !!!

1. Posted by TyaDarbar (Budding Member 12 posts) 5y

Totally gutted!!! :( I've just got back from spending a month in Oz and luuurrrvvveeeddd it!!! it's totally given me the bug to get out of the uk and travel but I can't apply for an Oz working visa as I'm too old!!! (don't look or act it though ;) I'm totally clueless as to what other options I can look at and wondered if anyone can help me pllleeeassseeee!!! Soooo wish I'd not been a career mentalist and had got my ass out in to the big wide world earlier :( Any advise would be appreciated!!!! :) xx

2. Posted by parsons22 (Budding Member 2 posts) 5y

ive heard people go and work with no visa in fruit farms,when u come back they will ban u from oz,im going in agust im lucky im under thirty

3. Posted by Steve79 (Respected Member 330 posts) 5y

Tya, have you thought about getting a TEFL qualification and teaching English as a Foreign Language around the world? That is what I am thinking of doing.

4. Posted by TyaDarbar (Budding Member 12 posts) 5y

Hey Steve, well I have my Post 16 P.G.C.E Qualification specialising in dance and wondered if that would help me get in to Oz some how. The only thing with that is it may restrict me from being able to travel around but then it would still be better based in Oz for a while rather than here! TEFL sounds like a good idea to use to help get around and see the world though. Hmmmmm . . . . . . . !!!

5. Posted by Dodger (Inactive 875 posts) 5y

Are you looking to live abroad more permanently?

If so, a couple of idea's.

Just how old are you? If you are still under 36 you can apply for a WHV in New Zealand. I'm not totally up with this, I thought it was available through the government, but I just found a link that claimed it was only available through these guys BUNAC

New Zealand isn't Aus, in someways it's better, but personally I don't like the winters that can be cold and damp. Too much like the UK! But they are shorter and the summer is more guaranteed. If you can get a foot in the door in NZ and get residency then you are free to move to Aus.

Alternatively a student visa for Aus maybe what you need. Pick a course that is on the required list of occupations for Aus and you can get residency through that. Although it states you can not work on a student visa, it's commonly accepted that Aus is so expensive that everyone does work on them.

You'll probably need a bit more money than what you currently have. You know planning on going on August is their winter and it gets surprisingly cold in places. Maybe you should put it back a few months to save up a bit more and allow things to warm up in Aus.

Good luck

6. Posted by Allysa81 (Budding Member 35 posts) 5y

Aw sorry to hear that Satya....the New Zealand option sounds a good bet though...I've spoken to lots of people that preferred New Zealand to Australia...

I'm 30 but i turn 31 the end of April so getting work visa just before then intend on using it the beginnning of 2013 for Australia (maybe earlier if i can, money dependant and also if it works out with my new housemate so they could look after my babies ie cats whilst i'm gone, that's my biggest things scaring me as i'll miss my family and cats so much but i just have to go!)

How was Australia? Better than you imagined? What places did you visit and what were your favourite? How are the people?

What do you think you'll do?

Thankyou Dodger for the information on New Zealand, so you can get a working visa for New Zealand upto the age of 35?!

I wish you the best luck Satya

7. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 5y

Quoting Allysa81

Thankyou Dodger for the information on New Zealand, so you can get a working visa for New Zealand upto the age of 35?!

Yes, if you're a UK resident. And even if you've already gotten a regular Working Holiday Visa; this Bunac thing is entirely separate. (If you're not a UK resident, you can only use the regular WHV, which goes up to age 30 (inclusive), same as the Australian one.)

8. Posted by royroy150780 (Budding Member 18 posts) 5y

New Zealand is nice guys but Australia has so much more to see and do and of course has much better weather. Tasmania is alot like NZ if you are into mountains and that sort of stuff.

Are you not able to get a holiday visa for 90 days and do some cash jobs if you dont have the funds to last that long?

There are alot of fruitpicking jobs but i am not sure how strict they are when it comes to visas etc.

Let me know if you need any further info.

9. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 5y

I'd strongly advice against working illegally. Australian immigration is notorious for checking up on practices like that, and if discovered, you'll face eviction and a many-year ban from the country.