Hi we are planning on traveling to Guatemala i found some great virtual tours that helped they or on -snip- they have virtual tours and 360 degree pictures of Guatemala and it looks super cool and nice there. Can anyone suggest any other info that can help me find hotels and plan my trip? what is the weather like in june? is it summer? advise please. Thanks
[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]
hi! yeaaah Guatemala is gorgeous! i'm jelaous! :-)))
Abt travel destinations - it's tonns of info online, but my advice - buy a book. Lonely Planet or what ever you choose. if you speak Spanish it will help, they almost dont speak English there. When you plan your trip - pay attention on transportation issues - roads are awful, public transport is not effective and slow. But dont miss it! Chicken Buses are something! Great expirience :-) dont even think to drive in Guatemala! not good idea at all. So, with this transport issue you cant book hotels for advance. Cause u never will b there at time. You will find where to sleep at arriving, no worries. What u really must book - your hotel at arriving. Just the 1st place - to come from the airport. I backpacked there, so slept not in hotels, but hostels (it's usually not dormit, but doubleroom, but basic. or less then basic). June is rain season, but here is element of luck - may be it will be not heavy showers. I was in Guatemala few years ago, dont know if it changed - bt the only issue that i had there - they almost never have hot water. Prepare yourself to cool shower. LOL... yes, it is. But you r getting used in couple of weeks. Anything else is adorable there: nature and people and culture and all the rest.
Enjoy your trip!
I am from Guatemala and currently Im living in Madrid.
As a Guatemalan, I can give a lot of tips, so please just ask what are you interested in.
Regarding your first questions:
1. Weather: don't worry about it, most of the time the temperature is between 20 °C and 25 °C. We have the rainy season from May until October. The rest of the months are summer. Be sure to have at least one jacket just in case.
2. Pictures and videos: I can recommend you to visit the official page: http://www.visitguatemala.com/
3. Hotels: since its a cheaper country, you can find great deals in nice hotels. If you will stay in the city (Guatemala City) you can book some night in Intercontinental, Holy day Inn, Barcelo or Radisson. If you go to Antigua Guatemala, I recommend you Casa Santo Domingo, its a bit expensive but it is worth it, but in Antigua you can find any other Hostel or "Posada" thats how we call the hostels very cheap and clean. You can make the booking in: www.hoteles.com or www.booking.com
If you ask me for a route:
1. Visit the city (2 days are enough, you may need a car)
2. Go to Antigua Guatemala (stay at least 2 days, its beautiful and you can go walking): 30 minutes from the city
3. Panajachel, Atitlan (2 other days): you can visit the lake, take a ride in a boat and watch the volcanoes. The party is very nice, its a hippie city and low cost. Maybe 3,5 hours from the city.
4. Coban (2 days or 3) you can visit the caves, the Biotopo del Quetzal and trecking in the jungle. 3.5 hours from the city.
5. Tikal (3 days): its one of the most important places to visit. It is very far from the city in car (7 hours), so I recommend you to take a plane (taca.com) the air ticket can cost you around $200 but it is worth it if you dont have a lot of time and you want to be more confortable. You can stay in Flores which is an island and then go to the touristic park Tikal. You visit here the mayan pyramids and temples. It is a 30 minutes trip in car from Flores. You can take a bus or a touristic bus.
If you still have time, you can go to the Pacaya Volcano, which is active and you can see the lava rivers in the night or you can go also to El Puerto which is the pacific beach with black sand or if you want you can go to the Atlantic beaches with white sand in Rio Dulce (Izabal).
Hope you find useful this information and if you need more, just write me!!!
Enjoy Guatemala and have a nice trip!!!