Skip Navigation

Travelling to the US with a Criminal Convection in the UK??

Travel Forums North America Travelling to the US with a Criminal Convection in the UK??

1. Posted by PEGLEG (Budding Member 5 posts) 4y

Hi All,

New to this and just looking for some advice/guidance.

Right...6yrs ago i was convicted of a sexual offence - Digital Penetration...this is not rape or anything to do with children however not proud as it was during a drunken night out so totally out of character and totally sorry for my actions. I was convicted and sent to prison for a 33month sentence which was very harsh...even the prosecution questioned that this was a harsh sentence (expecting 12 months) for the crime committed. Normal sentence is anywhere from suspended upto 36 months. The judge wanted to make an example of me. I've never been in trouble before or since this offence.

I've seen so many posts and read them all...and it looks like that I have no choice but that to try my luck on an ESTA and tick NO as I will 100% be turned away if i go down the application through embassy route.

I've been travelling with my wife around asia & europe in recent years with no problems. The only time I have an issue is when I arrive back in the UK through passport control as they always question me as to where I have been & where I live and then i'm allowed back in. Apart from this no real problems.

I'm on the SOR & MAPPA however really interested if anyone out there can help or shed some light before I embark on a holiday to the US?

2. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 4y

If you have read the posts that apply to your situation, you already know one thing. The US in not going to issue you a visa. If you use ESTA and tick 'no', then you have a chance. Just be prepared to be denied and sent back on the next plane if your past conviction surfaces. Good luck.

3. Posted by PEGLEG (Budding Member 5 posts) 4y

Thanks for the responses. I've checked with my solicitors and they've made me aware of certain changes in law so i'm gonna get my details taken off the SOR & MAPPA and then go for the ESTA as everyone has told me that the US will never give a visa to someone that holds a conviction of an indecent assault....worse thing that an happen is that i'm just sent straight back home....we shall see :)