I was wondering if the readers of this forum would be interested in helping me. In September, I am planning on backpacking through Europe, mainly western Europe. I have around 1.5 months to travel across the western of Europe and have started planning things.
Toronto --> Spain (Madrid + Barcelona) --> France (Paris & Surroundings) -->Switzerland (Geneva & Alps) --> Italy (Milan + Rome) --> Greece (Athens)
- Seeing how the locals live in these countries. I don’t want to stay in a hotel and eat at the fanciest of restaurants. I’d like the local experience of how the natives of these countries and their cities properly live, including food, night out, activities.
- I want to see what all the main cities in these countries are like, live like the locals during my time there, walk through the streets, eat what they usually eat throughout the day. Learn how each city operates and what makes it special from the other cities.
- Open my eyes to life more and learn as much lessons as I can on the trip and grow as a person.
- Stay in hostels and couchsurfing in order to get an even better experience.
- Money is not necessarily an issue, I’ve been saving this up for a while. I have around 5,000$ for my time in Europe give and take, after flights have been paid for
- I don’t necessarily want to shop and buy souvenirs, I am more about the memories and seeing and learning, id prefer to have those than actually products, so most of my money I want spent on cover fees to museums, simple tasty local food, and hostels/stays.
What I’m asking for:
- This is the first time I’m travelling alone to several foreign countries and am unsure on how to go about this
- I am asking for your experience (the readers) in helping me plan this trip properly
- I would like to know how to go about: Transport within cities, between countries, how to move around. How to properly plan it.
- What would be the best way to go about all of this to get the proper life-changing experience?
- It is a bit daunting to go to a foreign country whereby I do not know the language or even when I get to the airport where do I go and what do I take to get there (taxis are pretty expensive I assume)? Do I book hostels from now or when I get there.
- Is 1 week or so good enough for each country?
- Do you see any flaws in my plans that I should change?
I also hope this can become somewhat of a guide for others on how to plan all of this.
[ Edit: Edited on 09-Mar-2012, at 08:51 by SDaouk ]