Skip Navigation

Caribbean Criminal Record

Travel Forums Central/South America & The Caribbean Caribbean Criminal Record

1. Posted by caribbeannn (Budding Member, 2 posts) 2 May '12 17:12

If I have a criminal record in the Caribbean that has been cleared, is there any way Canada and the USA can find it if I travel there and do not admit to ever having had one?

2. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru, 1534 posts) 2 May '12 23:02

Impossible to give an accurate opinion when you give no clue whatsoever where the charges were filed, but the overall answer is: No problems. Forgetaboutit.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Terry

3. Posted by caribbeannn (Budding Member, 2 posts) 3 May '12 12:59

Dear Terry,

The charges were filed in my home country of Antigua in the Caribbean. One for throwing a bottle and another for handling stolen goods (under $1000 USD). I did 1 month in jail for the bottle and paid a small fine for the stolen goods. Both occured in 2008 but I was (very) late paying my fine so I am a few years away from even applying for rehabilitation in Canada. My record is being cleared by police here right now. So when I get a normal record check myself at their office, it comes up clean. We get our visas by applying through the Canadian branch in the caribbean, so I'm wondering if I say that I've never had a record, if they will be able to tell that I have...

I love your answer (makes me feel better) but can you give more details as to why you don't think it would be a problem? I don't want to get banned forever for lying but my fiance is in Canada.

4. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru, 1534 posts) 3 May '12 16:28

I said it likely wouldn't be an issue because almost no place in the Caribbean shares its criminal data base with Canada, nor does Canada share with them.

That said, I do NOT know what Antigua's policy is though... I'm sure an immigration lawyer in Antigua could tell you. I'm 90% sure you're okay "forgetting" that anything ever happened, but that remaining 10% is NOT worth risking being red flagged by CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency.) Once you're on their $hit list you're screwed forever.

Any immigration lawyer should be able to tell you what is disclosed between the two countries, and how to proceed.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Terry