Skip Navigation

Visa Application

Travel Forums Asia Visa Application

1. Posted by Cathy1234 (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to South Korea this summer, and I need some information about how I should apply for the visa. I have been told to visit the nearest Korean consulate or the Korean embassy in my home country. I'm just wondering if it's possible for me to apply for a korean tourist visa at the embassy of my home country while I am still living in another country.. my country of residence. Which means I would have to post them all the necessary documents ( passport as well I'm assuming) and they would post my passport with the visa back to me. I would just like to know if this is possible.

Thanks :)

2. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 1997 posts) 4y

What country is your passport from? I'm an American, and have no problem entering the ROK without a visa. It's really impossible to answer your ? since the rules differ for different nationalities.

3. Posted by bex76 (Moderator 3736 posts) 4y

Likewise on a UK passport.

If you do need a visa the best thing is to apply to the Korean embassy/consulate in the country you're living in, rather than sending everything back to your home country. This shouldn't be a problem; I applied for my Chinese visa at the Chinese consulate in New Zealand with a UK passport.

4. Posted by Cathy1234 (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y

I am a Sri Lankan passport holder and I live in China. Unfortunately the consulate that I have visited requires a bank statement with a pretty large sum of money, which I do not have. If I cannot submit this, they will reject my visa application. This is why I am considering sending all my documents back to the Korean embassy in Sri Lanka, because I know they would not ask for such a large sum of money there. That would be pretty unreasonable because most sri Lankans dont even earn that much during their entire lifetime. Anyways, I just want to know if it's possible to do this. I could DHL them everything and have a relative pick it up and DHL it back to me.