Skip Navigation

Insurance for a working holiday visa in Australia

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Insurance for a working holiday visa in Australia

1. Posted by Bec1987 (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y


I'm going to Australia in September on a working holiday visa.

I have done the typical backpacker thing already which I absolutely loved and now have the travelling bug. Rather than backpacking this time I will actually be staying with a friend - who is Australian and his family, I'll be working in Australia and occassionally travelling around Australia.

My query is, what is the best travel insurance to get that covers for working in Australia and the basic activities such as surfing etc?

I know that Australia don't have healthcare like we have NHS so healthcare/medical would also be an important part of the policy.

I appreciate that it is important to have a good policy but I would like to find one that is reasonable priced too.

Any advise will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Posted by Cyberia (Travel Guru 1834 posts) 4y

Type: travel insurance australia

into a search engine.

It's a matter of searching for the cover you want at the price you want. You MUST tell them if you plan on doing surfing or anything else that is even remotely dangerous.

3. Posted by Bec1987 (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y

Thanks for that, I have managed to get that far and have seen a far few different policies.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated.

4. Posted by grizormz (Budding Member 42 posts) 4y

hey, i've also been looking check out ozintro's insurance policies, if you request it they can send you an email with everything they cover. Think it's the insurance i'm going to go with :)
hope this helps! x

5. Posted by Cyberia (Travel Guru 1834 posts) 4y

The only real way you can recommend an insurance is if something went wrong and they paid up. Otherwise you pay your money and you hope they do.

6. Posted by Peter (Admin 5946 posts) 4y

Australia does actually have something like NHS - it's called Medicare. In fact, coming from the UK you are actually able to get some free healthcare thanks to a reciprocal agreement. You can read up on it on this page: . Pretty darn good if you ask me

Of course, that said, a lot of typical travel insurance things will not be covered by this - cancellations for example. And some expensive costs won't be covered, like ambulance trips. But those aren't covered for Australians either unless you buy ambulance cover.