I need info about the international airport. Unfortunately, I have 16 hours for a transfer at this airport and I have a few questions about it.
1. Since Im there for 16 hours, can I go into the city? ( i am canadian )
2. Do I have to go through Customs IF I cant go into the city?
3. If I have to go through customs regardlessly, do I have to pick up my bags at the carousel and get in line for check in again?
4. Is there a fee for leaving the airport?
I appreciate any help with this.
1. You do not need a visa to enter Mexico.
2. If in transit you do not need to go through customs unless you leave the airport.
3. If you are using the same airline, your baggage will be booked through to the final destination, so pack some essentials into hand baggage. If different airlines, then you may need to pick up your baggage. Ask at check in on your original flight.
4. No fee for leaving the airport.
It's only a short subway ride into the centre of Mexico City. If you have 16 hours, I would book a room in town (try hostelbookers who have some cheap accommodation, hotels and the like) and book into a place.
You can then spend time sight seeing, looking around, eating and drinking and so on. Then maybe a few hours sleep (take an alarm clock), a shower and back to the airport.
Do be careful of pick pockets in Mexico, especially on the subway or anywhere there is crowds.
While in Mexico City, visit one or more of the following: (1) the Zocalo, (2) Chapultepec Castle, (3) the Archeological Museum, and/or (4) the pyramids at Teotihuacan. The last of these is the most impressive--but also takes the longest to get to. Another option is the nightlife in the "Zona Rosa". Great restaurants and nightclubs, with good drinks (but it may be tough to get back to the airport on time in this case--at least in any condition worth mentioning).
Have fun. Thinking of doing something like this (long trip to Cancun with a long layover in Mexico City) myself. Let me know how your trip goes.