Skip Navigation

Temporary Car Insurance for non-us citizen

Travel Forums North America Temporary Car Insurance for non-us citizen

1. Posted by petepetepete (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y

Hey Everyone,

Love the forum, this is my first post so i hope i've got it in the right place!

Me and a few friends are headed on a road trip from new york to florida next moth and we're planning on buying a car out there. Could anyone give me some advice on where to go to get short term car insurance for this as we're not US citizens. Could we use a UK company? or do we have to use a US company?



Post 2 was removed by a moderator
3. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 4y

PM the poster vegasmike6, he's the expert on all things auto related in the US.

Have fun.


4. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1998 posts) 4y

Agree that you should contact vegasmike6;--especially as he can advise you well on purchasing vehicles and getting them registered--which I am definitely not an expert on.

As far as insurance, though--you need to purchase insurance from a company that is registered to sell insurance in the state where you buy it (this can be found by simply going to Dept of Insurance for the state in question, and looking up registered companies.) If you go to Las Vegas, for example, just look up registered insurance companies in Nevada.

Be aware that the insurance company only has to be registered in the state where you purchase--once you buy, the insurance is then valid in every US state and in Canada (though not in Mexico if you should drive there;--only Mexican insurance is valid in Mexico)--although this can be bought in the US before traveling across the border.

5. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 4y

I sent a PM to Pete and hopefully it will steer him in the right direction.

Post 6 was removed by a moderator
7. Posted by petepetepete (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y

Thanks guys, thats all really helpful!

Thanks also vegasmike, your message was very helpful and I think we'll be taking your advice.