Skip Navigation

More Long Stay Schengen Questions

Travel Forums Europe More Long Stay Schengen Questions

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Schengen Visa
1. Posted by db2 (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Hi Guys,

Like a lot of people I'm a bit confused about the best way to go for long term travel in Europe. Here's my bio:

Myself and 2 kids are dual UK/Australian but my wife only holds an Aussie passport.
We live in Australia
We are looking to spend approx 11 months travelling by RV around Europe during 2014

Obviously the problem is my wife and her limitations (the (stupid) 90/180 rule for schengen visa waiver)). We really don't want top have to restricty our trip by spending at least 50% of the time outside schengen areas. So - are any of the following options available (some sound a bit hare-brained but just throwing them out there!):

1) Apply for a 1 year visa in a country like France. I believe this would allow travel throughout schengen. I don't think you can have a 1 yr tourist visa but can you sign up to a course in a French uni, get a 1 year student visa, drop out after 4 weeks and away you go? She does speak fluent french.

2) Apply for individual visas for each country? Or mix it up a bit. Do the schengen thing for 90 days, then get visas for the next 90, then 'renew' the schengen waiver for the next 90?

3) Buy a house in Latvia for $90K which gives you perm residency. Swan around the schengen area for a year (including the latvian pad) then sell it when you leave hopoefully getting the $90K back

4) fly to schengen area in October, 'check in', then fly back to Australia. Then come back in January and enjoy the 90 days in the area out of the first 180 period, then start the second 180 period straught after

Any other options? Seems like a crazy system when the EU is in so much strife and citizens would be crying out for foreign dollars to come in.

Thank you so much for any advice.



2. Posted by Carlywarls (Budding Member 3 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Be sure to look into Australian specific bilateral agreements with each country as we (Kiwis) are allowed to stay in most of the Schengen countries for 30 - 90 days each which superceeded the Schengen rule.... (2010-2011 anyway) - might be a help

3. Posted by db2 (Budding Member 2 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Thanks Carlywarls,

I guess you mean if you fly into Italy (for example), without a visa, you'll get a 30 -90 day visitor stamp on your passport on entry which 'overrides' having to rely on schengen?

Thing is, how do you get the next visa/stamp when you travel overland to the next country?

4. Posted by gdickson16 (Budding Member 14 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

I've looked at many of the different ways to get around the Schengen area, and it's impossible to do.
The last thing you want is to get caught, booted and black listed.

Also the 90/180 rule does not mean you can spend 90 in Australia then 180 in Schengen then 90 outside. It's 90 days within a 180 day period.