My wife and are based in London and starting to plan a RTW trip and could do with some/any advice. We hope to travel for 10 months, would like to do some volunteering along the way and be flexible with time scales in each country.
The list of countries include India, Nepal, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam- Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Columbia, Brazil, Panama and Costa Rica.
We would like to fit in a few activities such as trekking in Nepal, the Inca trail in Peru, and Rio Carnival 28th Feb - 4th March 2014.
Our all inclusive budget for both of us is £26'000
1) Does anyone have any advice about volunteering abroad, we are keen to help disadvantaged children (both of us work with children in the UK)? It appears to be expensive to book from London.
1b) If there is a chance to earn some money whilst travelling we are not adverse to a bit of work. Any suggestions or advice?
2) What is the best way to book tickets? We would like to travel by land as much as possible and keep flights to an absolute minimum (we think it will also be cheaper and give the best experience) We would rather not be fixed to an itinerary.
3) It is monsoon season in India during August, we don't mind a bit of rain, any opinions or suggestions?
4) Any suggestions or advice on our ideas for trekking? We are hoping to hire equipment for the cold, any advice?
5) Our budget is tight, is it unrealistic? Any advice on how to make the money stretch?
Any suggestions or advice on the trip as a whole would be really appreciated and we are open to constructive criticism; we have started with 'blue sky thinking'!!
Thanks in advance for any and all replies