Hey guys, i'm planning to do exactly the same thing, hopefully a month in july. Was hoping to save the same as you £2000, hopefully its enough! Flying out from the UK also, perhaps London but nothing booked yet.
Everyone says Thailand is amazing so i'm incredibly excited!
Also hoping to find some people to travel with / meet up with whilst out there.
Good luck with your planning!
I know this thread hasn't been active in over a month, but I have just booked tickets to thailand 1 month over August to the beginning of September.
I am female, 20 years old and I will be traveling alone! I am definitely up for meeting a travel companion as I am pretty nervous about traveling around alone. I was told that you only need about £25 a day so for 1 month thats probably about £700 spending money but I think I'm going to take about £1000 to be on the safe side and for excusions etc.
At the moment I have just booked my flights, I am about to book a hostel - NapPark Hostel at Khao San, apparently Khao San road is where most travellers tend to stay as its cheap and the best way to meet people.
I have planned out a basic route from Bangkok...
• Arriving in Bangkok
• Make my way by bus to Siem Reep, visit Angkor Wat/Killing fields and surrounding temples in Cambodia
• Make my way again by bus to Phnom Penh (capital of Cambodia), length of stay depending on interest.
• Next: Ho Chi Minh City (Capital City of Vietnam), staying for a few days, visit to the coast etc.
• Flight to Bangkok from Ho Chi Minh, costing around £40.
• Bangkok > Koh Phangan, including; Full moon party, Koh Phi Phi (island from the Beach), snorkling etc.
• Back to Bangkok, potential to fly (with flights costing around £40-£50). Bus and boat ferries are also a possibility.
• Last stay in Bangkok then fly home..
So bangkok, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thai Islands back to Bangkok..
Things to do...
• Dusit Zoo
• Lumpini park (central park of Bangkok)
• Thai massage
• Grand Palace
• Wat Pho (giant reclining Buddha)
• Wat Arun (Temple of dawn, on the Chao Phraya River)
• Wat Saket (Golden temple)
• Khao San Road (Busy nightlife)
• Thai cooking class
• MBK shopping centre
• Wang Lang Market
• Or Tor Kor Market
• Tiger temple
• Full moon party 21st of August
• Beach activities
• Reggae boat (500baht for 6 hour trip)
Cambodia, Siem Reep
• Angkor Wat and surrounding areas
• Pub Street (nightlife, food, cheap beer etc.)
• Tonle Sap Great Lake
• The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
• Royal Palace
• Wat Phnom
• Wat Lanka
• Wat Botum
• Bars on riverfront, street 278 or 51
• Russian Market on street 163
• Central market on street 126
• Foreign correspondents club for a drink (happy hour 5-7)
Vietnam,Ho Chi Minh City
• Mekong Delta (just outside HCMC)
• Ben Thanh Market (Located in district 1)
• War remnant museum
• Cu Chi Tunnels
• Must eat Pho (pronounced ‘fur’) Vietnamese dish; beef or chicken in a delicious broth with noodles, topped with lime and chillies
• Notre Dame Cathedral
So if anyone has any other advise of wants to meet up at all during travels let me know!
Hi Chloe - I'm also going Thailand and travelling on my own - I have booked my flight to arrive on 18th August I am doing the Thaintro week so that I have my first 7 days planned - but after that I'm on my own (well hopefully not!!) but have no plans from 25th August my Thaintro tour finishes in Koh Phangan -I am free to tour around then until 17th October when I fly to Melbourne - would be great to keep in touch and see where you are when I arrive
Hi Chloe! Do you know any dates yet? I'll be knocking about Asia around that time
Hello! Sorry for this late reply, been so busy.. but yes I am still going to SE Asia, I arrive in Bangkok on the 7th of August...I have my first 9 days sorted.
I will be heading from Vietnam on the around the 18th of august up towards Koh Phangan for the full moon party on the 21st, if anyone is up for meeting up around then! Would be amazing! Pretty nervous about going to the full moon party alone!
My trip is just over a month 6th of Aug - 6th of Sept.
Jellybeans - I havent got any solid plans after the 21st of aug so would be up for meeting too
JHPhillips - What kind of route are you taking?
Hey Chloe!! I am here in bangkok
Too. I am getting a training here and traveling alone too nearby areas.i really was planning to visit dusit zoo and lumpini!
I can give u my bkk no. Or email if u wanna meet up for
Zoo!! Or any other.
Btw, i am Eve ^_^
Im there from the 8th August for a month alone. anyone doing the same feel free to drop me a line and we can meet up. Take care
I'm travelling aroud Thailand at the end of August and planning to go to Cambodia approx. from the 25th of August for a couple of days just to visit angkor wat. it would be great if you are planning to go to Cambodia the same time
I am in Bangkok (alone) and looking forward to meet some people. I will stay until the end of the month
The info in this post has genuinely been loads of help and given me some stuff to think about! So far have just flights booked so also freaks me out slightly how prepared everyone seems! By the looks of everyone dates I imagine most of you will have already been and come back before I get there on the 16th October. But I'm looking to do a similar route, thailand, laos, vietnam, camodia then full moon party and down to singapore.. so if anybody is still out there give me a shout. I'm traveling alone so be good to get chatting to people doing something similar