Skip Navigation

Travel insurance for a year working visa

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Travel insurance for a year working visa

1. Posted by Char72 (Budding Member 39 posts) 3y

Hi all,

I am moving to Australia for a year in August and am really struggling with travel insurance. As I am going from the UK I have been advised I am entitled to Medicare but this is only for basic healthcare?

Do I still need to get travel insurance for the entire year on top of this, or just for my flights in case I lose baggage or anything?

I have found some insurance but they don't cover extreme sports or internal flights so not sure what I would actually be getting from having it?

Any advice would be great!

2. Posted by bethdassoulas (Budding Member 54 posts) 3y

Hi Char

I haven't sorted mine yet and I'm going in November! I have heard great things about Endsleigh travel insurance so they might be worth a look? Let me know what you find!

Beth x

3. Posted by keeler10 (Budding Member 10 posts) 3y

Hi Char,
yes you are entitled to medicare but its only minor stuff.
I have just taken out travel insurance with, it has taken me over a week to find the best and this one is (fingers crossed). When looking for insurance i generally looked for medical minimum £5 million!
It cost me £325 for 1 year and i pay NO EXCESS, which is awesome.
It literally covers me for EVERYTHING, so heaven forbid i will be covered in case of emergency.