Skip Navigation

Advice on Travel Cards for gap year!

Travel Forums Travel Gear Advice on Travel Cards for gap year!

1. Posted by vickie.bertram (Budding Member 2 posts) 3y

Hi all,

I am off to glorious Australia next month on a gap year with my boyfriend and have been told to use a travel cash card to take my money on, as it is safer. Has anyone had any experience with these before? I have heard my Travel Cash is a reputable brand to use, anyone had any experience with them?

Vickie x

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4890 posts) 3y

If you're there for a year, you'll be there on a working holiday visa, and will need an Australian bank account to have the money you earn paid into. Getting a bank account should generally be done within the first few weeks of arriving in Australia, as then you'll only need your passport as identification (later on you need additional forms of identification, which you as a backpacker won't have). So then of course with an Australian bank account, you'd just use the debit card for that, and do a single money transfer from your regular bank account to the Australian bank account. Which completely removes the need for these silly "travel cash card". (Seriously, every time I see someone posting about it, I'm more than halfway certain that they're astroturfing for them, especially as it's always first time posters bringing them up, and never estabilished members.)

3. Posted by vickie.bertram (Budding Member 2 posts) 3y

I am going for a bout 6 months, I have saved up quite a bit! I have friends working out there at the moment so I will be doing a lot of sleeping on couches! So I wasn't sure as I am not technically working, it is more of a holiday what I would do with my funds? Just heard about the travel cards and thought it would be a good idea to use as I spoke to my bank and they would charge every time I used my card over there?