Skip Navigation

Finding work in Australia myself or joining an agency???

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Finding work in Australia myself or joining an agency???

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Sydney
1. Posted by Ollie.Timm (Inactive 3 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Hi i'm Ollie I got back from travelling South America alone a few months ago and haven't really got over how much you get out of throwing yourself in the deep end and trying something new in a completely different environment and meeting so many new people, I have already got my WHV sorted out and after reading a few threads on the forum i'm wondering would it be better to sign to an agency (I have heard gap360 absolute oz is good but and stress free but it's also £600 which is aus$1016) or save the money and try to find work myself or with people I'll meet out there? I have labouring and bar/hostel work experience but wouldn't mind fruit picking or anything really if it pay's ok, I also want to save some money after I finish my visa so I can go through travel from Thailand through Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam before finally heading home to the UK!!!

At this point any info would help :) thanks

2. Posted by Ollie.Timm (Inactive 3 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Also I plan on heading to Sydney first in February 2014 and have friends in Melbourne, anyone else planning the same?

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5088 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

I'm always all for doing it all by yourself, and I'm not alone in that.

Fruit picking pays pretty badly (unless you're really efficient at it), and is more something people do to become eligible for a 2nd year visa. But with experience, you should manage to find bar work without too much trouble (as long as you start looking about two months before peak season for that location). You'll need to do the Responsible Serving of Alcohol (RSA) training, which varies from state to state, so I'd recommend researching the exact details for that.

4. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

I'm not always for doing it alone, but it depends on the case and the person. If you just got back from travelling South America by yourself some months, I'd say you'd be fine going it alone. You also already have your visa, which some of these packages bundle in (boy, that thing has become EXPENSIVE by the way!!), so that would probably discount a bunch of them. Finding work might not be the easiest thing in the world, but if you are flexible, it's not super hard either. Re the gap360 package, I am pretty sure they use Ultimate Oz (disclaimer, they are a TP advertiser, so you might actually see an ad for them at top right on this page). I'm rusty on the exchange rate, but I'm pretty sure this is the same package. If you do this, do it for everything included, not specifically for the work (you can buy just that for 99$ on the ground, so that gives you some idea of the value of just the work component). Fruit picking work is easy to come by, but is hard work. It can pay very well if you are good at it though, and given the locations (less cities and nightlife and thus partying ;)), you often actually manage to save up doing it

Post 5 was removed by a moderator
6. Posted by Ollie.Timm (Inactive 3 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Thanks Sander sound advise I will definitely check out the RSA training and apparently you need a white card to work on sites out there as well, it's the equivalent to our CSCS card, Sam...I am pretty much sold on that video holy crap that looks like an awesome way to kick it off in Sydney, I really wanna get into the work there make some $$$ and not just party 247 (that is pretty much all I did in the hostels through SA and fuck am I paying for it now hahaha) I checked out the hostel wakeup that ultimate oz provides and those are the best kind of hostels so yeh it costs a bit more but there's no worry about finding work and is a great way to meet people, cheers for sharing that link bud

7. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Just re the RSA course. Note that there is a different course you need to take to get your RSA certificate for NSW (Sydney). The one included in the aforementioned package covers you in most states, but I think NSW is slightly stricter so you need to get some kind of additional training. None of this is hard by the way, just an extra little barrier into getting bar work. And no, I have no idea why NSW had to go and make it more difficult than the other states!!