We will be traveling to Germany this summer for about 10 days. Although the main purpose of my journey is to visit with my boyfriends' relatives, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on what else we should see. I haven't seen much conversation about Germany lately on the forum.
Any suggestions would be of help.
What part of Germany are you going to?
I knew that question would pop-up! I just found out a few nights ago that we are going for sure, and I didn't think to ask my boyfriend what part of Germany his relatives live in. I am thinking that they live in the Bavaria region.
Okay, now I know that we will be spending our time in Munich. If anyone has suggestions of "must-see" places, I would really appreciate it. We will be in Germany for 10-14 days. Thank you.
It's years since I was in Munich Caroline, but what I do remember of it was that it was quite a nice lively city - lots of beautiful neoclassical architecture, lots of museums and churches, good beer gardens and restaurants.
It's pretty compact though. You can get around it in a day or two. I would say hire a car and head out into the Bavarian countryside to some of the the Alpine towns and villages. Alternatively, you could head up towards Ingolstadt and Nurnberg. My Dad isnt long back from Nurmberg - he had to move their with work for a while and he really liked the city.
If you were feeling really adventurous you could cross the border into Austria and go to Salzburg. It's pretty close to Munich.
Hope that helps,
I went to Munich two years ago and I loved it! Just a couple spots to check out:
- The Gate at Karlsplatz, very pretty and castle-like
- Frauenkirche, a famous church...I particularly like the domed towers, the inside isn't too spectacular
- The Neues Rathaus (or the new town hall). At 9am and 5pm (if I remember correctly) These little puppets come out of the main "window" under the clock and there's a show. It's cute.
- Isartor Gate ....a beautiful painiting on it.
- The Residenz (the Palace)
- The English Gartens....they stretch to about 9 km outside of Munich, but there is still a part of them in the city. Great for picnics.
- Maximilianeum (parliment).
- Angel of Peace ....if you're a U2 fan, this is what was featured in the Stay (Far Away So Close) video.
- And of course.....you have to go to a Beer Garden! The most famous one is the Hofbrauhaus one.
Also, If you can get to Berlin for a few days, I would definately recommending checking it out. A beautiful city with such history..and the shopping is good too!
Thanks so much to both of you for your great suggestions. I can always look to a guide book, but I much prefer hearing what "real" people like to see.