I'm from the UK and hence travelling from prob London/Manchester/Birmingham.
Priced up a RTW trip with both and is coming in cheaper and a little more versatile with Airtreks. e.g. I can travel out east to Sydney and then fly west thru Perth, Johannesburg to Buenos Aires. As far as I'm aware you can't double back with most other companies.
Plus I'm a little concerned that the tickets are priced in US dollars and not in my home currency sterling. Does that make a difference? Are Airtreks based anywhere in the UK?
Any help will be much appreciated!
I booked tickets tru airtreks. They are based in the US and not Europe but will handle european customers. Shipping the tickets cost 30 USD if you wire the money instead of useing a credit card you get a 2% discount or so. The dollar is quite low now (at least to the euro) so this could make a difrence. U could google for a currency converter and find out how much the ticket will cost in pounds.
yea, I've run a conversion on it and it works out cheaper than STA. My main fear is the sales and after-sales support u get. Also, can they sort out your visas and any excursions/tours u wish to go on?
The pre sale support I got was ok. Mainly trough email but got strait forward awnsers to my questions. Its hard to get them on the phone though. Kept getting an awnsering machine when I used the extention they gave me. To cut around this I called their usual number and waited till i got a operator and asked me to patch me trough to the person handeling my tickets, wich worked.
Have not left yet so cant say much about after sales support. After you purcase the tickets, you deal mainly with the airliners you are flying with I think.
I used Airteks. Everything turned our OK, except one tickets going up slightly at the last minute. I haven't needed to deal with them since I've left. However, one thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was that the tickets didn't arrive until the last minute. Litereally, two days before we were due to leave. We did book it pretty late. But I couldn't help but feel that I was put in a position in which I really couldn't negotiate the price of the one ticket which changed, duw to how late it was that the tickets came through.
Another thing, the initial quote was nowhere near my final quote. I did speak with travellers who got better deals using major carriers in the US. I can't remember which. Maybe American. Not sure.
To play it safe, I would get quote from several companies. Have them do the research. When it comes time to pay, use the one which is cheapest. But keep the others on the hook in case that company starts changing numbers on you at the last minute.