Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) is the gateway to the city and also the main base of the flag carrier, Etihad Airways. Etihad Airways has flights to many major cities in Europe, Asia and even further away to Sydney and New York. Low-cost carrier AirAsia X connects Abu Dhabi with Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from November 2009.
The current Abu Dhabi airport was built in the 70's and although unique in a quaint sort of way, it's showing it's age.
The new terminal 3 has opened in 2009 and should provide a better experience. A midfield terminal is under construction and is slated to open around 2012 and will be a world class international facility with a 22 million passenger per year capacity.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting there and away
Etihad Airways provides bus coaches between Dubai and Abu Dhabi International Airport for Etihad customers. Taxis are available for transport into Abu Dhabi centre.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
There are 3 terminals at the airport, terminal 3 being exclusively used by Etihad Airways. For more information about airlines, also see the list of airlines and the details about flying with budget airlines.
- Air Arabia - Egypt Alexandria
- Air France - Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- Air India operated by Indian Airlines - Delhi, Mumbai
- Air-India Express - Amritsar, Chennai, Delhi, Kochi, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Muscat, Trivandrum, Tiruchirapalli
- British Airways - London-Heathrow, Muscat
- EgyptAir - Cairo
- Etihad Airways - Almaty, Alexandria, Amman, Astana, Beirut, Cairo, Casablanca, Chennai, Colombo, Damascus, Dhaka, Kathmandu, Khartoum, Moscow-Domodedovo, Tehran-Imam Khomeini, Trivandrum
- Ethiopian Airlines - Addis Ababa
- GMG Airlines - Dhaka, Karachi
- Gulf Air - Bahrain
- Jazeera Airways - Kuwait
- Jet Airways - Delhi, Mumbai
- KLM - Amsterdam, Muscat
- Kuwait Airways - Kuwait, Muscat
- Lufthansa - Frankfurt, Muscat
- Middle East Airlines - Beirut
- Oman Air - Muscat
- Qatar Airways - Doha
- Royal Falcon - Amman-Civil Marka
- Royal Jordanian - Amman-Queen Alia, Muscat
- Sama Airlines - Damman, Jeddah
- Saudi Arabian Airlines - Jeddah, Madinah, Riyadh
- Singapore Airlines - Jeddah, Kuwait, Singapore
- Syrian Air - Aleppo, Damascus
- Turkish Airlines - Istanbul-Atatürk
- Ukraine International Airlines - Kiev-Boryspil
- Airblue - Islamabad, Lahore
- Biman Bangladesh Airlines - Chittagong, Dhaka, Sylhet
- Iran Aseman Airlines - Lar
- Kam Air - Kabul
- Nas Air (Saudi Arabia) - Jeddah, Riyadh
- Pakistan International Airlines - Faisalabad, Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Rahim Yar Khan, Sialkot
- Shaheen Air International - Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar
- SriLankan Airlines - Colombo
- Sudan Airways - Khartoum
- Turkmenistan Airlines - Ashgabat
- Yemenia - Riyan, Sana'a
- Etihad Airways - Almaty, Athens, Baghdad, Bahrain, Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Beijing-Capital, Brisbane, Brussels, Cape Town, Chicago-O'Hare, Dammam, Delhi, Doha, Dublin, Erbil, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hyderabad, Islamabad, Istanbul-Atatürk, Jakarta, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Karachi, Kochi, Kozhikode, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lahore, Larnaca, London-Heathrow, Manchester, Manila, Melbourne, Milan-Malpensa, Minsk, Mumbai, Munich, Muscat, Nagoya-Centrair, New York-JFK, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Peshawar, Riyadh, Seoul-Incheon, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo-Narita, Toronto-Pearson