The Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK), the city's main airport, is about 32 kilometres northeast of the city centre. Beijing Capital International Airport has rapidly ascended in rankings of the world's busiest airports in the past decade. It had become the busiest airport in Asia in terms of passenger traffic and total traffic movements by 2009. Beijing Capital International Airport is also the 3rd busiest airport in the world with 65,329,851 passengers passing through the airport in 2009.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting there and away
The airport is accessible by four express tollways:
- The Airport Expressway is a 20-kilometre-long toll road that runs from the northeastern 3rd Ring Road at Sanyuanqiao directly to Terminals 1 and 2. It was built in the 1990s and has served as the primary road connection to the city.
- The 2nd Airport Expressway, opened in 2008, is a 15.6-kilometre-long toll road that runs east from Yaojiayuan Lu at the eastern 5th Ring Road and then north to Terminal 3.
- The Northern Airport Line, opened in 2006, is an 11.3-kilometre-long toll road that runs east from the Jingcheng Expressway to Terminals 1 and 2.
- The Southern Airport Line, opened in 2008, is a toll road that runs parallel and to the south of the Northern Airport Line from the Jingcheng Expressway to the eastern Sixth Ring Road at the Litian Bridge. This highway crosses the Airport Expressway and 2nd Airport Expressway, and enables drivers on the former to reach Terminal 3 and the latter to head to Terminals 1 and 2.
In addition to the expressways, there is a tree-lined, two-lane road that runs just south of the Airport Expressway. This Old Airport Road was the primary access route to the airport prior to the expressway's opening and remains the only untolled road to the airport.
Beijing Capital International Airport is served by the Airport Express Line of the Beijing Subway. The 28.1 km line runs from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2 and then to the city with stops at Sanyuanqiao and Dongzhimen. It was opened on July 19, 2008, in time for the 2008 Olympics. A one-way trip takes approximately 16–20 minutes.
The airport also offers six different shuttle bus routes to and from various points in Beijing, including Xidan, Fangzhuang, the Beijing Railway Station, Zhongguancun and the Nanyuan Airport. Check the Routes and Schedules.
There is a passage linking terminal 1 and 2 and this is accessible at the public level. To get from Terminal 3C to 3E, both domestic and international travelers must obtain boarding passes at T3C. International passengers have to board from T3E. The two-kilometer-long trip between the two buildings is shortened to two minutes by an intra-terminal train.
To help passengers go to the right terminal, the airport provides free inter-terminal shuttles between T3 and Terminals 1 and 2 from 6am to 10pm. The buses set out every ten minutes from 8am to 8pm, and every 20 minutes during other times.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
There are currently 3 terminals: terminal 1 and 2, and terminal 3 which is subdivided into 3C and 3E with 3D opening in the near future. For more information about the airlines, visit the List of Airlines article.
- Beijing Capital Airlines - Baotou, Erenhot, Hailar, Hohhot, Jixi, Lijiang
- Grand China Air - Dalian, Guilin, Harbin, Nanchang, Nanning
- Hainan Airlines - Baotou, Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dongying, Fuzhou, Guangzhou, Guiyang, Haikou, Hailar, Hangzhou, Hefei, Hohhot, Jiamusi, Kunming, Lanzhou, Manzhouli, Mudanjiang, Nanjing, Ningbo, Qiqihar, Sanya, Shanghai-Hongqiao, Shenzhen, Taiyuan, Urumqi, Wenzhou, Wuhai, Wuhan, Xi'an, Xiamen, Xining, Yichang, Yinchuan
- Tianjin Airlines - Anqing, Hailar, Weifang, Xi'an, Yan'an, Yulin (Shaanxi), Zhongwei
- Aeroflot - Moscow-Sheremetyevo
- Aerosvit Airlines - Kiev-Boryspil
- Air Algérie - Algiers
- Air Astana - Almaty
- Air France Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- Air Koryo - Pyongyang
- Air Zimbabwe - Harare, Kuala Lumpur
- China Eastern Airlines - Changchun, Changzhi, Changzhou, Dalian, Delhi, Dhaka, Dunhuang, Enshi, Fukuoka, Fuzhou, Hangzhou, Hefei, Kunming, Lanzhou, Lianyungang, Lijiang, Linyi, Luoyang, Luzhou, Nagoya-Centrair, Nanchang, Nanjing, Ningbo, Okayama, Osaka-Kansai, Qingdao, Seoul-Incheon, Shanghai-Hongqiao, Shanghai-Pudong, Taiyuan, Tengchong, Tokyo-Narita, Wenzhou, Wuhan, Xi'an, Yantai, Yibin, Yinchuan
- China Southern Airlines - Amsterdam, Beihai, Changbaishan, Changchun, Changde, Changsha, Changzhi, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Daqing, Dubai, Ganzhou, Guangzhou, Guilin, Guiyang, Haikou, Hangzhou, Hanoi, Harbin, Heihe, Hohhot, Hong Kong, Huaihua, Jeddah, Khabarovsk, Kunming, Lagos, Lhasa, Manila, Mohe County, Nanchong, Nanjing, Nanning, Nanyang, Ningbo, Phnom Penh, Phuket, Sanya, Seoul-Incheon, Shanghai-Hongqiao, Shantou, Shenzhen, Shenyang, Tashkent, Tehran-Imam Khoemeini, Urumqi, Wuhan, Xi'an, Xining, Yanji, Yichun (Heilongjiang), Yinchuan, Yiwu, Yongzhou, Zhangjiajie, Zhanjiang, Zhengzhou, Zhuhai
- Chongqing Airlines - Chongqing, Diqing
- Delta Air Lines - Seattle/Tacoma, Tokyo-Narita
- Ethiopian Airlines - Addis Ababa, Delhi
- Hainan Airlines - Berlin-Tegel, Brussels, Budapest, Dubai, Irkutsk, Khartoum, Krasnoyarsk, Luanda, Novosibirsk, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, St Petersburg, Seattle/Tacoma, Taipei-Taoyuan
- Garuda Indonesia - Jakarta
- Hong Kong Airlines - Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Express Airways - Hong Kong
- Iran Air - Tehran-Imam Khomeini, Tokyo-Narita
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines - Amsterdam
- Korean Air - Busan, Jeju, Seoul-Incheon
- Malaysia Airlines - Kuala Lumpur
- Pakistan International Airlines - Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Tokyo-Narita
- Philippine Airlines - Manila
- Rossiya - St Petersburg
- SAT Airlines - Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Shanghai Airlines - Hangzhou, Harbin, Jiayuguan, Jining, Jiujiang, Lanzhou, Nanjing, Shanghai-Hongqiao, Xi'an
- SriLankan Airlines - Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Colombo
- TAAG Angola Airlines - Dubai, Luanda
- Turkmenistan Airlines - Ashgabat
- Ural Airlines - Yekaterinburg
- Uzbekistan Airways - Tashkent
- Vietnam Airlines - Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
- Vladivostok Air - Khabarovsk, Vladivostok
- Xiamen Airlines - Changsha, Fuzhou, Quanzhou, Wuyishan, Xiamen
- Air China - Baotou, Beihai, Changchun, Changsha, Changzhou, Chaoyang, Chengdu, Chifeng, Chongqing, Dalian, Dandong, Daqing, Datong, Dazhou, Dunhuang, Fuzhou, Guangyuan, Guangzhou, Guilin, Guiyang, Haikou, Hailar, Hangzhou, Harbin, Hefei, Hohhot, Huangshan, Jiamusi, Jingdezhen, Jinggangshan, Jiuzhaigou, Kunming, Lanzhou, Lhasa, Liuzhou, Mianyang, Nanchang, Nanjing, Nanning, Nantong, Ningbo, Ordos, Qingdao, Qiqihar, Quanzhou, Sanya, Shanghai-Hongqiao, Shanghai-Pudong, Shantou, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Taiyuan, Taizhou (Zhejiang), Tongliao, Urumqi, Weihai, Wenzhou, Wuhan, Wuxi, Xiamen, Xi'an, Xiangfan, Xilinhot, Xining, Xuzhou, Yancheng, Yanji, Yantai, Yichang, Yinchuan, ,Yushu, Yuncheng, Zhangjiajie, Zhanjiang, Zhengzhou, Zhuhai
- Shandong Airlines - Jinan, Qingdao, Yantai
- Shenzhen Airlines - Nanning, Shenzhen, Wuhan, Wuxi, Zhengzhou
- Sichuan Airlines - Chengdu, Chongqing, Jiuzhaigou, Kunming, Wanzhou, Xichang
- Air Canada - Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver
- Air China - Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Busan, Daegu, Delhi, Dubai, Frankfurt, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Karachi, Kuala Lumpur, London-Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid, Manila, Melbourne, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Munich, Nagoya-Centrair, New York-JFK, Osaka-Kansai, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Pyongyang, Rome-Fiumicino, San Francisco, Sao Paulo-Guarulhos, Sapporo-Chitose, Sendai, Seoul-Incheon, Singapore, Stockholm-Arlanda, Sydney, Taipei-Taoyuan, Tokyo-Haneda, Tokyo-Narita, Ulaanbaatar, Vancouver, Yangon, Yekaterinburg
- Air Macau - Macau
- Air New Zealand - Auckland
- All Nippon Airways - Tokyo-Haneda, Tokyo-Narita
- All Nippon Airways operated by Air Nippon - Osaka-Kansai
- American Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare
- Asiana Airlines - Busan, Cheongju, Muan, Seoul-Incheon
- Austrian Airlines - Vienna
- British Airways - London-Heathrow
- Cathay Pacific Airways - Hong Kong
- Cebu Pacific - Manila
- China Airlines - Taipei-Taoyuan
- Continental Airlines - Newark
- Dragonair - Hong Kong
- EgyptAir - Cairo
- El Al - Tel Aviv
- Emirates - Dubai
- Etihad Airways - Abu Dhabi
- EVA Air - Taipei-Taoyuan
- Finnair - Helsinki
- Japan Airlines - Osaka-Kansai, Tokyo-Haneda, Tokyo-Narita
- Lufthansa - Frankfurt, Munich
- MIAT Mongolian Airlines - Ulaanbaatar
- Qatar Airways - Doha
- S7 Airlines - Novosibirsk, Irkutsk
- Scandinavian Airlines - Copenhagen
- Singapore Airlines - Singapore
- Thai Airways International - Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi
- Transaero Airlines - Moscow-Domodedovo
- Turkish Airlines - Istanbul-Atatürk
- United Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, San Francisco, Washington-Dulles