Bourgogne (Burgundy in English), is located in the eastern central part of France and is one of the 22 French regions.
It is constituted of 4 departments: Côte d'Or, Nièvre, Saône et Loire and Yonne. The water flowing down the slopes of Morvan feeds three main rivers of France: the Seine, the Loire and the Rhône.
Saône et Loire
Sights and Activities
- The Morvan regional park is a natural park full of rivers, lakes and small mountains spreading at the limits of the four departments
- The Palace of Dukes of Burgundy is a 14th and 15th century architectural assemblage which stands in Dijon
- The Hospices of Beaune are charitable almshouses funded in 15th century with wonderful polychrome roof.
- The Abbey of Fontenay is a Cistercian abbey of the 13th century located in the commune of Marmagne
- The Ducal Palace of Nevers is a residence castle of the 15th and 16th centuries
- The Pont-canal of Le Guétin allows barges to cross the river Allier thanks to a bridge and a system of locks
- La Charité sur Loire is a small medieval town on the river Loire.
Saône et Loire
- The Abbey of Cluny is a Benedictine monastery in romanesque style built between 10th and 12th century
- Paray Le Monial and its Sacred Heart Basilica shows another example of romanesque art.
Dijon Air Base (DIJ) has a few flights with Eastern Airways to/from Bordeaux and Toulouse.
A TGV line goes from Paris Gare de Lyon to Dijon and then Besançon and Lausanne.
Another TGV line goes from Paris to Lyon with possible stops in Le Creusot and Mâcon.
Other main train lines crossing Burgundy are:
Burgundy is very well served by motorways:
- Motorway A6 Paris - Lyon fully crosses Burgundy from north to south.
- Motorway A31 comes from Luxembourg and Nancy and joins the A6 at Beaune.
- Motorway A36 comes from Mulhouse going West to Beaune where it joins the A6.
- Motorway A38 is the link between A6 coming from north to Dijon.
- Motorway A39 starts from Dijon going south to Bourg-en-Bresse.
- Motorway A77 leaves the A6 after Nemours and goes south to Nevers and the race track of Magny-Cours.