Cairns Airport (code: CNS) is the sixth busiest airport in Australia and has direct international flights. It is located about 7 kilometres north of Cairns, Queensland.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting there and away
- An airport shuttle bus, called "The Airporter" will take you to your accommodation in town for about $7. There are also shuttles going further north towards Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation.
- There is also a local bus, the Sunbus, that stops on the western side of the airport (route 2/2A). An adult single fare would cost $2-$3 to get into the city.
- A taxi into the city will cost about $15 and takes about 10 minutes.
- There are many companies offering rental cars, starting at about 25 AUD a day.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
There is a domestic terminal and an international terminal. For more information about the airlines, also see the list of airlines and the information about flying with budget airlines.
- Airfast Indonesia - Timika
- Air New Zealand - Auckland
- Air Niugini - Moro, Port Moresby, Rabaul, Tabubil
- Airlines PNG - Lihir Island, Mt Hagen, Port Moresby
- Alliance Airlines - Alotau, Port Moresby
- Asia Pacific Airlines - Tabubil
- Cathay Pacific Airways - Hong Kong
- Continental Airlines operated by Continental Micronesia - Guam
- Hinterland Aviation - Daru, Tabubil
- Jetstar Airways - Denpasar, Darwin, Gold Coast, Osaka-Kansai, Singapore, Tokyo-Narita, Sydney
- Qantas operated by QantasLink - Port Moresby
- Skytrans Airlines - Port Moresby
- Vincent Aviation - Port Moresby
- Virgin Blue operated by Pacific Blue - Auckland
- Alliance Airlines Cloncurry, Groote Eylandt, Lawn Hill, Sydney, Townsville, Trepell
- Hinterland Aviation Cooktown, Dunk island, Lizard island
- Jetstar Airways Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Qantas Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
- Qantas operated by QantasLink Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, Brisbane, Cloncurry, Darwin, Gladstone, Gove, Hamilton Island, Horn Island, Mackay, Rockhampton, Townsville, Weipa
- Regional Pacific Airlines Bamaga, Mount Isa
- Skytrans Airlines Aurukun Mission, Coen, Cooktown, Bamanga, Karumba, Lockhart River, Mount Isa, Cloncurry, Normanton, Edward River, Kowanyama, Burketown, Mornington Island, Doomadgee, Palm Island, Townsville
- Tiger Airways Australia Melbourne
- Vincent Aviation Bathurst Island, Darwin, Groote Eylandt
- Virgin Blue Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Townsville