Cairns Airport (code: CNS) is the sixth busiest airport in Australia and has direct international flights. It is located about 7 kilometres north of Cairns, Queensland.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting there and away
Shuttle bus transfers are available from the Cairns Airport, prices range between AU$15.00 to $17.00 (one passenger one way) and AU$25.00 to $35.00 (one passenger return) to Cairns city. The Cairns Airport shuttle buses typically depart the airport hourly. Cairns taxi' depart from the Cairns Airport and the trip will range between AU$25.00 to $35.00 to Cairns City. If you don't book a shuttle transfer before arriving in Cairns there is only one company you can travel with. Google the different shuttle bus companies as to get the cheaper price you have to book prior to arriving in Cairns.
The shuttle buses offering transfers from Cairns Airport are:
Coral Sea Coaches
FNQ Airport Shuttle
Sun Palm Transport
- There is also a local bus, the Sunbus, that stops on the western side of the airport (route 2/2A). An adult single fare would cost AU$2-$3 to get into the city. Keep in mind along the airport access road, you need to walk on the bike lane. The airport access road is not designed for walking, during the day it will be hot walk (not the best way to start your holiday) and not really safe as the airport access road is a busy road.
- A taxi into the city will cost about AU$25-$30 and takes about 15 minutes.
- There are many companies offering rental cars, starting at about AU$25 a day.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
There is a domestic terminal and an international terminal. For more information about the airlines, also see the list of airlines and the information about flying with budget airlines.
- Airfast Indonesia - Timika
- Air New Zealand - Auckland
- Air Niugini - Moro, Port Moresby, Rabaul, Tabubil
- Airlines PNG - Lihir Island, Mt Hagen, Port Moresby
- Alliance Airlines - Alotau, Port Moresby
- Asia Pacific Airlines - Tabubil
- Cathay Pacific Airways - Hong Kong
- Continental Airlines operated by Continental Micronesia - Guam
- Hinterland Aviation - Daru, Tabubil
- Jetstar Airways - Denpasar, Darwin, Gold Coast, Osaka-Kansai, Singapore, Tokyo-Narita, Sydney
- Qantas operated by QantasLink - Port Moresby
- Skytrans Airlines - Port Moresby
- Vincent Aviation - Port Moresby
- Virgin Blue operated by Pacific Blue - Auckland
- Alliance Airlines Cloncurry, Groote Eylandt, Lawn Hill, Sydney, Townsville, Trepell
- Hinterland Aviation Cooktown, Dunk island, Lizard island
- Jetstar Airways Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Qantas Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
- Qantas operated by QantasLink Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, Brisbane, Cloncurry, Darwin, Gladstone, Gove, Hamilton Island, Horn Island, Mackay, Rockhampton, Townsville, Weipa
- Regional Pacific Airlines Bamaga, Mount Isa
- Tiger Airways Australia Melbourne, Syndey, Brisbane
- Vincent Aviation Bathurst Island, Darwin, Groote Eylandt
- Virgin Blue Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Townsville