County Durham, the only English County to be named in this way, probably does not get as many visitors as its scenery and history deserve. The city of Durham has what must be one of the best cathedral tableaux anywhere and the North Pennines forms an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Cities and towns
Five Unitary local government authorities not covered by County Durham Council:
- Redcar and Cleveland
- Stockton on Tees
- Bishop Auckland - medieval links with the Prince Bishops of Durham.
- Barnard Castle
- Great Aycliffe
Sights and Activities
- Durham Castle and Cathedral[/b].
- Beamish Open Air Museum is one of the best in the country, representing a way of life not so very old but completely different from today - late 19th and early 20th century.
- Escomb Saxon Church - near Bishops Aukland - outstanding example of a complete Saxon church.
- The Killhope wheel and other remains of what was once the largest lead mine in Great Britain.
- High Force - the highest waterfall in England.
- The Weardale Railway - preserved railway from Stanhope to Wolsingham.
- Raby Castle - Teesdale.
- Darlington Railway Centre and Museum.
- Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge
- Walk the Durham Coastal footpath.