For anybody looking for high mountains and their scenery the Haute-Savoie, part of Rhône-Alpes, must be one of the best areas, not just of France but of Europe.
Towns and villages
- Annecy - capital - situated on a lake and hence good for water as well as mountain activities.
- Chamonix - perhaps Europe's principal mountain resort. VERY busy at most times - exellent attractions.
- La Clusaz
- Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval - small village with an excellent camp site and good walks and climbs with less mountain fervency than Annecy or Chamonix.
Sights and Activities
- Aiguille du Midi - cable-car - possible to continue into Italy - glorious views of Mont Blanc.
- Mer de Glasse - mountain train from Chamonix with great glacier scenery.
- Mont Blanc - one of the most famous mountains in the world, ascent or traverse (climbers only).