John F. Kennedy International Airport (IATA: JFK, ICAO: KJFK) is one of the three major airports in the New York City area, operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting There and Away
JFK is located about 12 miles (19 kilometres) from Manhattan.
The AirTrain JFK is a train system connecting JFK airport with the New York Transit subway system and Long Island Railroad at the Howard Beach station and the Jamaica Station (subway station: Sutphin Boulevard–Archer Avenue–JFK). When entering or leaving AirTrain at the Jamaica and Howard Beach stations the fare is $5. The fare must be paid by MetroCard, which can be purchased with cash, credit card or ATM card.
From the Jamaica station, travellers can then take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Pennsylvania station. The LIRR costs $3 to $7 (in addition to the $5 AirTrain fare) between Jamaica and Manhattan. This is quicker than the subway, but more expensive. The entire trip should take approximately 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the LIRR schedule. This is a good option at rush hour, when there are many trains, but off-peak hours you could be waiting a longer time for a train.
For the New York City Transit Subway, travellers can transfer to the E Line at Jamaica Station or the A Line at Howard Beach Station. The fare will be an additional $2 on top of the AirTrain $5. The entire trip will take between 55 and 75 minutes.
There are also buses running from Terminal 4 (the Q10 and the B15) which provide the ability to save the $5 AirTrain fare, but are local buses and can take a very long time to reach your final destination.
Taxis between JFK and anywhere in Manhattan are a flat $45 fare, plus the cost of tolls. It is customary to tip 10% to 20% on top of the fare.
The length of trip is variable, depending on the traffic.
US Helicopter offers services from JFK Airport to Downtown Heliport (near Wall Street and the Financial District) or the Midtown East Heliport (located at 34th St. and the East River) in Manhattan for $169 one-way. The trip takes eight minutes. Perhaps not practical for the backpacking traveller on a budget, but there is no faster way downtown.
Terminals are connected by the AirTrain JFK, the same system that runs from the airport to the subway. There are three routes on the AirTrain: Howard Beach Route, Jamaica Station Route and the All Terminals Loop. Travellers connecting between stations should take the All Terminals loop.
The All Terminals loop runs in a clockwise loop, stopping at the following stations:
- Terminal 1
- Terminal 2/3
- Terminal 4
- Terminal 5/6
- Terminal 7
- Terminal 8
The AirTrain is free to ride within the airport area.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
There are eight passenger terminals at JFK Airport and only terminal 6 is currently out of use. The following airlines serve destinations throughout the US and the rest of the world. Also check the websites of the airlines at the List of Airlines. More details on the airlines flying into each terminal can be found at the airlines page of the Port Authority website.
- Aeroflot - Moscow-Sheremetyevo
- Aeroméxico - Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta
- Air China - Beijing-Capital
- Air France - Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- Alitalia - Milan-Malpensa, Rome-Fiumicino
- Austrian Airlines - Vienna
- Cayman Airways - Georgetown, Grand Cayman
- China Airlines - Taipei-Taoyuan
- China Eastern Airlines - Shanghai-Pudong
- Japan Airlines - São Paulo-Guarulhos, Tokyo-Narita
- Korean Air - Seoul-Incheon
- Lufthansa - Frankfurt, Munich
- Royal Air Maroc - Casablanca
- Saudi Arabian Airlines - Jeddah, Riyadh
- Turkish Airlines - Istanbul-Atatürk
- Delta Air Lines - London-Heathrow, Los Angeles, San Francisco
- Delta Air Lines - Abuja, Accra, Amman, Amsterdam, Antigua, Aruba, Athens, Atlanta, Berlin-Tegel, Bogotá, Bonaire, Boston, Brussels, Budapest, Cairo, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Copenhagen, Dakar, Denver, Detroit, Dublin, Fort Lauderdale, Frankfurt, Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Istanbul-Atatürk, Kiev-Boryspil, Las Vegas, Manchester (UK), Mexico City, Miami, Milan-Malpensa, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Mumbai, Nice, Orange County, Orlando, Phoenix, Pisa, Port-au-Prince, Portland (OR), Prague, Punta Cana, Rome-Fiumicino, St. Thomas, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Santiago de los Caballeros, Santo Domingo, São Paulo-Guarulhos, Seattle/Tacoma, Shannon, Stockholm-Arlanda, Tampa, Tel Aviv, Venice-Marco Polo, Zürich
- Delta Connection operated by Chautauqua Airlines - Albany (NY), Charlotte, Columbus (OH), Hartford, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
- Delta Connection operated by Comair - Albany (NY), Baltimore, Bangor, Boston, Buffalo, Burlington (VT), Charlotte, Charlottetown, Chicago-O'Hare, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Dallas/Fort Worth, Detroit, Freeport, Hartford, Houston-Intercontinental, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Montréal-Trudeau, Nantucket, Nashville, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland (ME), Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, Rochester (NY), St. Louis, Syracuse, Toronto-Pearson, Washington-Dulles, Washington-Reagan
- Delta Connection operated by Compass Airlines - Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Delta Connection operated by Mesaba Airlines - Buffalo, Houston-Intercontinental
- Delta Connection operated by Pinnacle Airlines - Albany (NY), Baltimore, Indianapolis, Nashville, Rochester (NY), Washington-Dulles
- Aer Lingus - Dublin, Shannon
- Aerogal - Guayaquil, Quito
- Aerosvit Airlines - Kiev-Boryspil
- Air Europa - Madrid
- Air India - Delhi, Mumbai
- AIRES - Bogota
- Arik Air - Lagos
- Asiana Airlines - Seoul-Incheon
- Avianca - Bogotá, Cali, Medellin-Cordova
- Caribbean Airlines Barbados, Georgetown, Grenada, Kingston, Montego Bay, Port of Spain
- Copa Airlines - Panama City
- Delta Air Lines - Barcelona, Madrid, Málaga, Montego Bay, San Juan, Tokyo-Narita, Valencia
- EgyptAir - Cairo
- El Al - Tel Aviv
- Emirates - Dubai
- Etihad Airways - Abu Dhabi
- KLM - Amsterdam
- Kuwait Airways - Kuwait City, London-Heathrow
- LAN Airlines - Lima, Santiago de Chile, Toronto-Pearson
- LACSA - San José de Costa Rica
- LAN Ecuador - Guayaquil
- LOT Polish Airlines - Rzeszów, Warsaw
- Meridiana - Naples, Palermo
- Pakistan International Airlines - Karachi, Lahore
- Qatar Airways - Doha
- Royal Jordanian - Amman
- Singapore Airlines - Frankfurt, Singapore
- South African Airways - Dakar, Johannesburg
- Sun Country Airlines - Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Swiss International Air Lines - Geneva, Zürich
- TACA - San Pedro Sula, San Salvador
- TAM Airlines - Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, São Paulo-Guarulhos
- Transaero - Moscow-Domodedovo
- Uzbekistan Airways - Riga, Tashkent
- Virgin America - Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco
- Virgin Atlantic Airways - London-Heathrow
- Vision Airlines - Havana
- XL Airways - France Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- JetBlue Airways - Aguadilla, Aruba, Austin, Bermuda, Boston, Buffalo, Burbank, Burlington, Charlotte, Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Houston-Hobby, Jacksonville (FL), Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Nantucket [seasonal], Nassau, New Orleans, Oakland, Orlando, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Ponce, Portland (ME), Portland (OR), Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, Rochester, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), San Juan, Sarasota/Bradenton, Seattle/Tacoma, Syracuse, Tampa, Washington-Dulles, West Palm Beach; Arrival at Terminal 4: Barbados, Cancún, Kingston, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Santiago de los Caballeros, Santo Domingo
- All Nippon Airways - Tokyo-Narita
- British Airways - London-City, London-Heathrow
- Cathay Pacific - Hong Kong, Vancouver
- Iberia - Madrid
- Icelandair - Reykjavik-Keflavík
- Qantas - Sydney
- United Airlines - Los Angeles, San Francisco 7
- United Express operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines - Washington-Dulles
- United Express operated by Shuttle America - Washington-Dulles
- US Airways - Charlotte, Phoenix
- US Airways Express operated by Republic Airlines - Charlotte
- Air Berlin - Düsseldorf
- American Airlines - Aruba, Austin, Barbados, Barcelona, Bermuda, Brussels, Buenos Aires-Ezeiza, Cancún, Caracas, Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Eagle/Vail, Fort Lauderdale, Havana, Las Vegas, London-Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid, Manchester, Miami, Milan-Malpensa, Montego Bay, Orlando, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Port-au-Prince, Providenciales, Punta Cana, Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, Rome-Fiumicino, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Diego, San Francisco, San José (CR), San Juan, Santiago de los Caballeros, Santo Domingo, São Paulo-Guarulhos, Seattle/Tacoma, Tampa, Tokyo-Haneda, Tokyo-Narita, Zürich
- American Eagle - Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Halifax, Indianapolis, Montréal-Trudeau, Norfolk, Pittsburgh, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, Toronto-Pearson, Washington-Reagan
- Finnair - Helsinki
- Jet Airways - Brussels, Chennai
- Mexicana - Cancún, Mexico City, Monterrey