Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) is a large international airport serving an average around 10 million passengers a year. It is also the second lowest airport in the world only sitting at 4.5 feet (1.5 metres) above sea level. It is possible to get direct flights to most major USA cities, especially the ones in the south. There are a few international flights, mainly to Central America and Mexico.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting there and away
- Bus: From the airport, public transit runs to the Central Business District. The E-2 Airport Bus goes to Tulane and Loyola Avenues in downtown New Orleans, which is two blocks from Canal Street. The fare on this bus is $1.60 one-way. The bus is operated by Jefferson Transit, which is not the same operator that runs buses within New Orleans, so transfers to New Orleans services require an additional fare. Schedules can be found at the Jefferson Transit website.
- Car: A taxi to the French Quarter will cost approximately $30. An airport shuttle service runs to the major hotels for $13 per person one-way. Rental cars are available at the airport as well.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
Louis Armstrong Airport has two terminals (east and west), subdivided into 4 concourses (A to D). Concourse C is for international flights. For more information about airlines, also see the list of airlines and the details about flying with budget airlines.
- Air Canada Jazz - Toronto-Pearson
- AirTran Airways - Atlanta, Baltimore, Milwaukee
- American Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami
- Continental Airlines - Houston-Intercontinental, Newark
- Continental Express operated by ExpressJet Airlines - Cleveland, Houston-Intercontinental, Newark
- Delta Air Lines - Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles, Memphis, New York-LaGuardia, Salt Lake City
- Delta Connection operated by Comair - Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
- Delta Connection operated by Mesaba Airlines - Minneapolis/St.Paul
- Frontier Airlines - Denver
- Frontier Airlines operated by Republic Airlines - Kansas City
- JetBlue Airways - Boston, New York-JFK
- Southwest Airlines - Baltimore, Birmingham (AL), Chicago-Midway, Dallas-Love, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Houston-Hobby, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, St. Louis, Tampa
- United Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, Los Angeles, Washington-Dulles
- United Express operated by GoJet Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, Washington-Dulles
- United Express operated by Shuttle America - Chicago-O'Hare, Washington-Dulles
- US Airways - Charlotte, Philadelphia
- US Airways Express operated by Republic Airways - Charlotte, Washington-Reagan
- WestJet Airlines - Toronto-Pearson