Newark Liberty International Airport (IATA: EWR; ICAO: KEWR) is one of the three major airports in the New York City area, operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The airport is on the border between Newark and Elizabeth, New Jersey.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting There and Away
Newark Airport is 16 miles (26 kilometres) from downtown Manhattan.
AirTrain Newark connects Newark airport with Manhattan. The fare from Newark to New York's Pennsylvania station is $14. Travellers will take the Newark Airport Monorail to the Newark Airport Train Station, where you will transfer to the NJ Transit train. Tickets for the AirTrain can be purchased in any terminal prior to boarding the monorail, or at the train station itself. Keep your ticket with you until it is collected by a conductor aboard the train. The trip will take between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on the length of the connection from the Monorail to the NJ Transit train.
Travellers to downtown Manhattan can save some time and money by transfering to the PATH train and Newark Pennsylvania Station and going to the World Trade Center stop. This will cost $7.50 for the AirTrain, plus an additional $1.50 for the PATH train.
Bus and PATH
NJ Transit Bus 62 can be caught at either terminal A at the bus staging area or in front of terminal B or C. It runs to Newark's Pennsylvania station. From Newark Penn Station, you can take the PATH train to either downtown (World Trade Center) or mid-town (33rd street stop). The fares are $1.25 for the bus and $1.50 for the PATH train. Exact change is required for the bus.
Bus 62 runs about every 20 minutes. Overall, a trip from Newark to Manhattan will take between 45 minutes to 1 and a half hours, depending on the bus schedule and timing of transfers.
The Newark Airport station also services Amtrak and NJ Transit trains not going into New York City.
Hundreds of NJ Transit trains pass through the station each week. Many are bound for New York City, but they also connect to many points within New Jersey.
The station is also serviced by Amtrak's Regional (trains heading between Washington DC and Boston) and Keystone Service (service between Pennsylvania and New York City) intercity trains.
Taxis between JFK and anywhere in Manhattan a zoned, flat fare, from $40 to $60 one-way, plus the cost of tolls. It is customary to tip 10% to 20% on top of the fare. The length of trip is variable, depending on the traffic.
US Helicopter offers services from Terminal C at Newark to Downtown Heliport (near Wall Street and the Financial District) or the Midtown East Heliport (Located at 34th St. and the East River) in Manhattan for $169 one-way. The trip takes 8 minutes. Perhaps not practical for the backpacking traveller on a budget, but there is no faster way downtown.
Terminals are connected at Newark by the AirTrain. There are eight stops:
- P2 (parking lot D-rental cars)
- P3 (parking lot D-rental cars)
- Terminal C
- Terminal B
- Terminal A
- P4 (parking)
- Newark Airport Station (RAILink station)
The AirTrain is free to ride within the airport.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
There are three passenger terminals at Newark airport. More details on the airlines flying into each terminal can be found at the airlines page of the Port Authority website. For links to the websites of the airlines, check the List of Airlines.
- Air Canada - Calgary, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver A
- Air Canada Jazz - Montréal-Trudeau, Toronto-Pearson
- Alaska Airlines - Seattle/Tacoma
- American Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami A
- American Eagle - Chicago-O'Hare
- Continental Express operated by ExpressJet Airlines - Albany, Asheville, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Burlington (VT), Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Chicago-O'Hare, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Detroit, Fayetteville (AR), Grand Rapids, Greensboro, Greenville/Spartanburg, Halifax, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Knoxville, Little Rock, Louisville, Madison, Manchester (NH), Memphis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Moncton, Montréal-Trudeau, Nashville, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Providence, Québec City, Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, Rochester (NY), St. John's, St. Louis, Savannah, Syracuse, Toronto-Pearson, Tulsa, Washington-Dulles, Washington-Reagan
- Frontier Airlines operated by Chautauqua Airlines - Milwaukee
- JetBlue Airways - Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach
- United Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, San Francisco
- United Express operated by GoJet Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare
- United Express operated by Trans States Airlines - Washington-Dulles
- US Airways - Charlotte, Phoenix
- US Airways Express operated by Mesa Airlines - Charlotte
- US Airways Express operated by Piedmont Airlines - Philadelphia
- WestJet - Calgary
- Air France Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- Air India - Ahmedabad, Frankfurt
- Alitalia - Rome-Fiumicino
- British Airways - London-Heathrow
- Delta Air Lines - Amsterdam, Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Salt Lake City
- Delta Connection operated by Chautauqua Airlines - Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
- Delta Connection operated by Comair - Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
- Delta Connection operated by Compass Airlines - Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Delta Connection operated by Mesaba Airlines - Detroit
- Direct Air operated by USA Jet Airlines - Myrtle Beach
- El Al - Tel Aviv
- EVA Air - Taipei-Taoyuan
- Iceland Express operated by Astraeus - Reykjavik-Keflavik
- Jet Airways - Brussels, Mumbai
- LOT Polish Airlines - Kraków, Rzeszów, Warsaw
- Lufthansa - Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich
- OpenSkies - Paris-Orly
- Porter Airlines - Toronto-Billy Bishop
- Scandinavian Airlines - Copenhagen, Stockholm-Arlanda
- Singapore Airlines - Singapore
- Swiss International Air Lines operated by PrivatAir - Zürich
- TAP Portugal - Lisbon, Porto
- Virgin Atlantic Airways - London-Heathrow
- Continental Airlines - Acapulco, Aguadilla, Amsterdam, Anchorage, Antigua, Aruba, Athens, Atlanta, Austin, Barcelona, Beijing-Capital, Belfast-International, Belize City, Berlin-Tegel, Bermuda, Birmingham (UK), Bogotá, Bonaire, Boston, Bristol (UK), Brussels, Cairo, Cancún, Charlotte, Chicago-O'Hare, Cleveland, Copenhagen, Cozumel, Curaçao, Dallas/Fort Worth, Delhi, Denver, Dublin, Eagle/Vail, Edinburgh, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Frankfurt, Geneva, Glasgow-International, Grand Cayman, Guatemala City, Hamburg, Hayden/Steamboat Springs, Hong Kong, Honolulu, Houston-Intercontinental, Las Vegas, Liberia (Costa Rica), Lima, Lisbon, London-Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid, Manchester (UK), Mexico City, Miami, Milan-Malpensa, Montego Bay, Montrose, Mumbai, Munich, Myrtle Beach, Nassau, New Orleans, Orange County, Orlando, Oslo-Gardermoen, Panama City, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Phoenix, Port of Spain, Portland (OR), Puerto Plata, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Raleigh/Durham, Roatán, Richmond, Rome-Fiumicino, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San José de Costa Rica, San José del Cabo, San Juan, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador, Santo Domingo, São Paulo-Guarulhos, Seattle/Tacoma, Shanghai-Pudong, Shannon, Stockholm-Arlanda, Tampa, Tel Aviv, Tokyo-Narita, Vancouver, West Palm Beach, Zürich
- Continental Connection operated by Colgan Air - Albany, Boston, Buffalo, Burlington (VT), Columbus (OH), Montréal-Trudeau, Myrtle Beach [seasonal], Norfolk, Pittsburgh, Portland (ME), Providence, Raleigh/Durham, Rochester (NY), Toronto-Pearson, Washington-Reagan
- Continental Connection operated by CommutAir - Albany, Harrisburg, Hartford, Ithaca, Mont-Tremblant, Nantucket, Philadelphia, Syracuse, Washington-Dulles, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton