Shanghai Pudong International Airport (IATA:PVG, ICAO:ZSPD) (上海浦东国际机场), usually just called the Pudong Airport, is a major airport about 30 kilometres from downtown Shanghai. This airport covers a massive area of 40 square kilometres making for plenty of room to expand. The Pudong airport currently only has two passenger terminals with three parallel runways on both sides. There are plans to add a third terminal by 2015, which would allow the annual number of passengers to jump from 60 million to 80 million. Currently Pudong is one of the main international airports in China and many travellers have to start or end their trip to China at this airport.
For more information about other airports throughout the world, also see the list of airports.
Getting there and away
Getting to and from Pudong poses many problems. The airport is located far from the city center making a taxi ride expensive and can be upwards of 200 RMB. Luckily there are several ways to get to and from the city to the Airport. And for people looking to skip Shanghai completely it is even possible to get direct buses to Nanjing, Suzhou and Hangzhou from the airport.
The cheapest way to get to and from the city is by bus. The buses in the city leave and arrive at the North Train Station, South Train Station and Jing'an Temple. For the train stations just look for the signs with a little airplane on it and ask the driver "Pudong." For Jing'an temple look for a driveway just east of the shopping mall entrance and underneath a Haggendas. Then board the bus that says "Pudong Airport."
For buses leaving the airport, short distant buses leave from the second level. Make sure to ask the bus driver where you want to go. Although any bus you take will get you into the city and a taxi will be much cheaper from there then taking one from the airport. If taking a long distance bus to another city follow the signs to the long distance bus area. Remember that the long distance buses do not run after about 8:00pm.
Mag Lev is one of the fastest trains in the world and connects the airport with the final stop on line 2 of the subway. The ticket costs more the 100 RMB, but it is cheaper if you have plane ticket. The train leaves every 30 minutes and gets you into the city very quickly.
The airport is laid out well and is easy to walk around. On the first level is arrivals and some shops; second level is departures. Inside the terminal there are some options for food but they are very expensive.
Airlines, Destinations and Terminals
- Air France - Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- American Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare
- China Airlines - Kaohsiung, Taipei-Taoyuan
- China Eastern Airlines - Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Beihai, Beijing-Capital, Busan, Changchun, Chengdu, Chifeng, Chongqing, Daegu, Dalian, Delhi, Frankfurt, Fukuoka, Fukushima, Fuzhou, Guangzhou, Guilin, Haikou, Harbin, Hiroshima, Hong Kong, Jeju, Jiayuguan, Kagoshima, Komatsu, Kuala Lumpur, Kunming, Lhasa, London-Heathrow, Los Angeles, Matsuyama, Melbourne, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Nagasaki, Nagoya-Centrair, Naha, Nanchang, Nanjing, New York-JFK, Niigata, Ningbo, Okayama, Osaka-Kansai, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Qingdao, Sanya, Sapporo-Chitose, Seoul-Incheon, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei-Taoyuan, Tokyo-Narita, Vancouver, Wenzhou, Wuhan, Xi'an, Xining, Yichang, Yinchuan, Yulin, Zhangjiajie, Zhengzhou, Zhuhai
- Delta Air Lines - Detroit, Tokyo-Narita
- Hainan Airlines - Brussels, Haikou, Xi'an
- Japan Airlines - Nagoya-Centrair, Osaka-Kansai, Tokyo-Narita
- Japan Express - Osaka-Kansai
- Juneyao Airlines - Beihai, Changchun, Dalian, Fuzhou, Guilin, Harbin, Nanchang, Qingdao, Shenyang, Wenzhou, Xiamen, Xi'an
- KLM - Amsterdam
- Korean Air - Busan, Seoul-Incheon
- Royal Brunei Airlines - Bandar Seri Begawan
- Shenzhen Airlines - Jinjiang/Quanzhou, Shenzhen
- Sichuan Airlines - Chengdu, Chongqing
- Spring Airlines - Changchun, Chongqing, Dalian, Fuzhou, Guilin, Haikou, Harbin, Lanzhou, Qingdao, Sanya, Shenyang, Wuhan, Xi' an, Zhangjiajie
- Tianjin Airlines - Dongying, Weifang
- Xiamen Airlines - Fuzhou, Wuyishan
- Aeroflot - Moscow-Sheremetyevo
- Aeroméxico - Mexico City, Tijuana
- Asiana Airlines - Busan, Seoul-Incheon
- China Southern Airlines - Changchun, Dalian, Dandong, Daegu, Daqing, Guangzhou, Haikou, Harbin, Jiamusi, Kalibo, Kunming, Mudanjiang, Nagoya-Centrair, Qiqihar, Sanya, Seoul-Incheon, Shantou, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Taipei-Taoyuan, Wuhan, Xi'an, Zhangjiajie, Zhengzhou, Zhuhai
- Shanghai Airlines
- Air Canada - Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver
- Air India - Delhi, Mumbai
- Air Macau - Macau
- Air New Zealand - Auckland
- All Nippon Airways - Nagoya-Centrair, Osaka-Kansai, Tokyo-Narita
- Air China - Bangalore, Beijing-Capital, Chengdu, Chongqing, Frankfurt, Fukuoka, Guilin, Guiyang, Jiuzhaigou, Melbourne, Milan-Malpensa, Nagoya-Centrair, Osaka-Kansai, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Sendai, Shenzhen, Sydney, Taipei-Taoyuan, Tokyo-Narita, Wenzhou, Wuhan, Xi'an, Yichang, Yinchuan
- British Airways - London-Heathrow
- Cathay Pacific - Hong Kong
- Cebu Pacific - Cebu
- Continental Airlines - Newark
- Dragonair - Hong Kong
- Emirates - Dubai
- EVA Air - Kaohsiung, Taipei-Taoyuan
- Finnair - Helsinki
- Garuda Indonesia - Jakarta-Soekarno-Hatta, Denpasar/Bali
- Hong Kong Express Airways - Hong Kong
- Lufthansa - Frankfurt, Munich
- Malaysia Airlines - Kuala Lumpur
- Philippine Airlines - Manila
- Qantas - Sydney
- Qatar Airways - Doha
- Shandong Airlines - Qingdao
- Shanghai Airlines - Anqing, Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Busan, Cebu, Changchun, Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Denpasar/Bali, Guilin, Haikou, Hanoi, Harbin, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Huangshan, Jiayuguan, Jinzhou, Macau, Osaka-Kansai, Phnom Penh, Qinhuangdao, Qingdao, Saipan [seasonal], Sanya, Seoul-Incheon, Mudanjiang, Shenyang, Taipei-Songshan, Toyama, Wanxian, Weihai, Wuhan, Xi'an, Xiangfan, Yantai, Zhangjiajie
- Singapore Airlines - Singapore
- SriLankan Airlines - Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Colombo
- Swiss International Air Lines - Zürich
- Thai Airways International - Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi
- TransAsia Airways - Taichung, Taipei-Songshan, Taipei-Taoyuan
- Turkish Airlines - Istanbul-Atatürk
- United Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, San Francisco
- Vietnam Airlines - Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
- Virgin Atlantic Airways - London-Heathrow
Money Exchange it is possible to exchange money before you clear customs or while in the terminal.
Western and Chinese food is available in all areas of the airport. Although there is no fast food or anything that is cheap, therefore it is best to bring something from home.
There are a few bars in the airport.
There is a hotel near the airport although going into the city is not that hard.