© All Rights Reserved edaifx
Vanua Levu is the second largest island of the Fiji archipelago, covering around 5,600 square kilometres and having around 130,000 inhabitants.
Vanua Levu enjoys a mild tropical climate with year-round temperatures around 25 °C with a generally high humidity. Average highs range from around 26 °C in July and August to around 30 °C from Decembert to April. Lows are between 20 °C and 23 °C. May to October is the dry season and the weather is slightly cooler and less rainfall and humidity make it a good time of the year to visit. From December to April, the island gets a lot of rain and many places get up to 3,000 mm or more a year!
- From Suva, Consort Shipping travels three times a week to Savusavu ($80/50 for cabin/seat), departing Suva at 6:00pm on Monday and Friday and noon on Wednesday. It takes 12 hours to reach Savusavu. On Wednesday and Friday it continues (8 hours more) on to Taveuni ($90/55 from Suva for cabin/seat). On the way back it departs Taveuni around noon on Friday and Sunday, arriving in Savusavu at around 5:00pm.
- Beachcomber Cruises runs three times a week between Suva and Savusavu ($45/65 for economy/1st class). The journey takes 11 hours and departs Suva at 10:00am on Tuesday, noon on Thursday and 6:00pm on Saturday, returning from Savusavu at 8:00pm on Wednesday and Friday and 7:00pm on Sunday. The boat also travels between Savusavu and Taveuni ($25/45 for economy/1st class), departing Savusavu at 1:00am on Wednesday and Friday, returning from Taveuni at noon on Wednesday and Friday. This journey takes five hours.
- Grace Ferry operates a bus/boat trip from Taveuni to Savusavu and Labasa ($20).
- Patterson Brothers Shipping travels on the Lautoka - Ellington Wharf - Nabouwalu - Labasa route twice a week ($60). It starts with a bus ride (3.5 hours) from Lautoka, then a trip on the Ashika ferry (almost 4 hours) and a trip on another bus to Labasa (4 hours). Buses depart from outside the Lautoka office at 4:00am on Friday and Monday, and from Labasa at 6:00am on Sunday and Wednesday.
- On the Suva - Natovi - Nabouwalu - Labasa route, Patterson Brothers Shipping travels ($45 one way) on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday ($45 one way). It starts with a bus ride (1.5 hours) from Suva, a ferry trip (4.5 hours) and another bus to Labasa (4 hours). Buses depart the Suva office at 4.30am.