"The Longest Journey Begins With The First Step"
Hi my name is Karen and I am a 26 year old girl (I don't feel like a woman yet ;) ) from California who is in need of a drastic change in overall surroundings . I am relatively new to travel abroad. I am readying myself to embark on a big adventure soon :)
I haven't done much traveling in my life, but I love watching travel shows and living vicariously through them, some of my favorites include:
* Anthony Bourdain No Reservations (Food and Travel who could ask for
* Globe Trekker (Hot, Young travel correspondents)
* Rick Steves' Europe (One of the major reasons why I still watch PBS)
* Three Sheets w/ Zane Lamprey (drinking different libations from around
the world.... awesome!)
* Adventures of a Nobody (try traveling across Europe on only 5 euros a
I also enjoy watching good films, even good foreign films.... also foreign television I just can't get enough of British comedies such as
* The IT Crowd
* The Mighty Boosh
* Little Britain
* The Inbetweeners
* Father Ted
....... you can't forget the classics: Monty Python's Flying Circus and Mr. Bean
I am also a fan of good music, mainly rock music and anything from the 70s and 90s. I love attending concerts whenever I get the chance. Last concert I attended was on my birthday last year where a one-hit-wonder rock group called Hinder performed a very short acoustic set at a local bar any one remember "Lips of an Angel" hahaha.
Oh and a recent hobby of mine is activism. Growing up I always felt strongly about people receiving fair and just treatment and access especially for those with lower economic and social status.I've been following and being supportive of the different movements going on currently here in my country and abroad. It's a wonderful thing to be a part of generation trying to fight for positive change.
And finally I just love learning about new things and learning from people. Through this ESL experience I hope to learn how to teach effectively and learn from my new surroundings. I hope to pick up the language during my year there ( yeah that's right foreign teachers are given 1 year contracts in South Korea).
I've only been to a few places in my life, but I have to say I have enjoyed most places I have visited, some of my favorites...
* Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico (my family lives there ....so beautiful)
* Yosemite National Park -Mariposa, CA (It's in my own backyard only hours from Fresno but have only been there for the first time while I was attending uni.... also very breathtaking.)
* Santa Cruz, CA - Where the Forest meets the Beach
* Los Angeles, CA - City of Angels man! Hope to go back one day and catch a taping of Conan (Talk Show) hahaha :)