Louisville Kentucky

Community Highlights North America Louisville Kentucky

To be honest Louisville was never on the list of must see places. I was looking to make my way to Chicago after saying goodbye to the girls in Nashville but flights (last minute of course!) were too expensive! I didn't have to be in New York until the 22/4, so I was looking at getting the bus to Chicago.
It was going to take too long, I checked the bus route and it passed through Kentucky and Indiana, so I thought why not spend a few days in each!

Definitely glad I did!!! I arrived in Louisville on Thursday of what the locals called "thunder weekend", I saw pictures of what looked like the Avalon airshow at home and thought not my thing but ok. I arrived too early to check into my airbnb so wandered down to the information shop in the city and the most lovely lady explained that "thunder weekend" was actually the opening weekend of the Kentucky Derby!!!!! Now she was speaking my language! The actual race wasn't for about 3 weeks but the celebrations begin early, very similar to the lead up of the Melbourne Cup racing carnival at home.

Now, more of the decorations in the city made sense and after walking a few more streets I started to find the horses, one representing Australia!
large_b17f5d10-80b9-11e9-9ebf-21a5eb3d4071.jpegb16ac3a0-80b9-11e9-9653-81e0644ccd3c.jpeg

Every bar and restaurant had signs out for events they were holding over the weekend and lots of rooftop bars holding parties on the Saturday night for the fireworks display. After doing some more investigating the fireworks was supposedly the largest in the northern hemisphere! and it was spectacular! Themed to Disney music!
large_IMG_9061.JPG

And there was something called a chow wagon at the waterfront which sounded intriguing! Similar to a food truck park with the fly over of the aircrafts.
IMG_7418.jpegIMG_7426.jpeg
I went down to the waterfront to watch the fly over and of course eat at the chow wagons! It was at the Ohio river and I was on the Kentucky side and you could see across the river similar families were jam packed which was Indiana!! Both states invested heavily in the celebrations! It was so lovely to see so many families out enjoying a perfect day! There was carnival rides, military sky divers and jet planes/fighters overhead!

I was fortunate enough to be invited to join my airbnb hosts John and Michael at the Hilton rooftop bar for a drink and to watch the remained of the flyover, it was a magnificent afternoon and a lovely place for watching the festivities!
IMG_9058.JPGIMG_7429.jpeg

Another unexpected highlight was visiting the Muhammad Ali museum, definitely well worth a visit. I'm not really into boxing but his life was so much more than that! I really enjoyed learning not only about his professional boxing carer but his fight for black rights, not going to war, decision to practice the muslim religion and in later years his battle with Parkinson's. A true local proud, to be from Louisville.
6f21abd0-80be-11e9-b466-ad066958b338.jpegIMG_7362.jpeg6f1046b0-80be-11e9-9c97-3ba6f8b12974.jpeg

Ali is also buried in Louisville but that's not why I went to visit the Cave Hill cemetery. It has a military section and I've always wanted to see the straight lined white tombstones you saw in the movies and it was very much like that. 1000's of rows of the tombstones in perfect order, it had a very calming effect to just sit and be amounts them. The cemetery had old mausoleums and famous locals like KFC creator Colonel Sanders. It's set in a lovely park with a lake and its beautiful.
IMG_7366.jpegIMG_7370.jpeg

Of course Kentucky is the home of bourbon and there's several different distilleries to visit in the state particularly popular brands such as Jim Beam and Bullet. I didn't visit the actually distilleries but of course I had a cheeky sample or 2!

One day I hope to return for the big race!
A brilliant stop on my road trip up to Chicago!

Off again, much love
L xx

This featured blog entry was written by mslaurajade from the blog Travel adventures!.
Read comments or Subscribe

By mslaurajade

Posted Tue, May 28, 2019 | USA | Comments