Dingle and Beyond

Community Highlights Road Trips Dingle and Beyond

Cycle event

Cycle event

Before I start rambling about today, I thought I’d mention something I forgot to write about last night. Yesterday was a huge event in Killarney. This is the start/finish of the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. This year there were 6,000 riders, all circumnavigating the Ring of Kerry. We were very lucky that we drove this route the day before. It would have been almost impossible yesterday. The event raises money for various charities around Ireland. Needless to say, Killarney has been quite crowded and very lively the last couple days.

Downtown Dingle

Downtown Dingle

Jack Mack’s Brewery

Jack Mack’s Brewery

John Benny’s Pub

John Benny’s Pub

Karen got a Latte this morning

Karen got a Latte this morning

Moving right along, today we did a drive around the Dingle Peninsula. You’d think by now we’d have seen all the cliffs, ruins, and villages that we could take in. Actually no, we’re just getting started. We can’t seem to get enough of this Irish charm that surrounds us. Granted, we’ve been mostly in tourist country, but I’ve found if you engage people you experience real Irish charm. Again today we saw many breathtaking views and drove on impossibly narrow roads and visited the charming village of Dingle.

Karen’s favorite ice cream shop

Karen’s favorite ice cream shop

Dingle Harbor

Dingle Harbor

Can you read this?

Can you read this?

Looking east along the coast

Looking east along the coast

Fortunately we got an early start and were well on our way to Dingle before we encountered any significant traffic. As it turns out, the roads here are no different than anywhere else we’ve been in Ireland, with one notable exception. Route R560 over Connor Pass is the narrowest we’ve seen yet. In fact trucks and buses aren’t allowed over this pass at all. When we got to Dingle there was still plenty of room in the public parking lots. By the time we left they were jam packed.

Rocky shoreline

Rocky shoreline

Sheep

Sheep

A frequent sight

A frequent sight

Looking towards Blacket Islands

Looking towards Blacket Islands

You’re probably rolling your eyes thinking not more stories about incredible coastline views and such. So, I won’t bore you with descriptions. The pictures will tell the story. As usual we made lots of stops to take in the views and take pictures. We stopped to have a look at a few prehistoric sires and get ice cream. Hey, the ice cream here is to die for. Especially Murphys of dingle. They have shops all over Ireland, but their home is here in Dingle and of course we had to have some.

Typical road signs

Typical road signs

The western tip of Europe

The western tip of Europe

While in Dingle we did an around town walk and finished at John Benny’s Pub for lunch. John, if you’re reading this, the food is great and the beer is very good. There is a local IPA brewed by Dick Mack’s Brewery that is very tasty. After lunch we walked along the harbor which is full of fishing boats (it Sunday) and very interesting. then back to the car and on to the drive around Sli Cheann Sleibhe (Slea Head Drive).

At the top of Connor Pass

At the top of Connor Pass

Coming down Connor Pass

Coming down Connor Pass

More road signs

More road signs

Slea Head Drive R539 is a loop that winds up back in Dingle Town. This time we drove back through town and up over Connor Pass. I have to say I love these twisty Irish roads, but this road is a marvel. Maybe not an engineering marvel (although maybe it is?), but an amazing exercise in cooperation. The drive down the north (east?) side of the pass has kilometers of one lane road that twists around blind corners and this isn’t a one way road. Its amazing there aren’t more crashes.

Downtown Killarney on a Sunday night

Downtown Killarney on a Sunday night

It took us the entire day to drive completely around the Dingle Peninsula and I for one was very glad to get back to Killarney. Yes, it’s possible to have too much of a good thing. Its now almost 9:30 and I’m beginning to fade, so I’m going to wrap this up and call it a night.

More tomorrow,

Jim

This featured blog entry was written by olytrains from the blog Adventures in the Emerald Isle.
Read comments or Subscribe

By olytrains

Posted Sun, Jul 07, 2019 | Ireland | Comments