Super Ultimate Island Tour in Coron, Philippines

Community Highlights Seafaring Super Ultimate Island Tour in Coron, Philippines

Giant grouper hiding in giant barrel sponge; I think this grouper has found an awesome home and he's just porching watching the happenings outside

Giant grouper hiding in giant barrel sponge; I think this grouper has found an awesome home and he's just porching watching the happenings outside

Clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning they develop into males first, and when they mature, they become females; if the female clownfish is removed from the group, such as by death, one of the largest and most dominant males becomes a female

Clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning they develop into males first, and when they mature, they become females; if the female clownfish is removed from the group, such as by death, one of the largest and most dominant males becomes a female

This is supposedly the most photographed spot in the Philippines at the entrance to Lake Kayangan; the view was definitely worth the climb up but the lake itself was nothing special

This is supposedly the most photographed spot in the Philippines at the entrance to Lake Kayangan; the view was definitely worth the climb up but the lake itself was nothing special

Copperband butterflyfish; many of my excursion mates had visited El Nido too and we all agreed that we preferred Coron for better scenery and smaller crowds

Copperband butterflyfish; many of my excursion mates had visited El Nido too and we all agreed that we preferred Coron for better scenery and smaller crowds

Chocolate chip sea star; my bangka for the day trip was named Jemimah (that didn't seem very politically correct and when I asked who Jemimah was the workers didn't know)

Chocolate chip sea star; my bangka for the day trip was named Jemimah (that didn't seem very politically correct and when I asked who Jemimah was the workers didn't know)

Razorfish; this unique fish adopts a head-down tail-up position as an adaptation for hiding among sea urchin spines and eats mainly small brine shrimp and other small invertebrates

Razorfish; this unique fish adopts a head-down tail-up position as an adaptation for hiding among sea urchin spines and eats mainly small brine shrimp and other small invertebrates

The egg ribbon of a Spanish Dancer nudibranch corresponds to the size of nudibranch so it's quite a large sea slug (about 8-12 inches long)

The egg ribbon of a Spanish Dancer nudibranch corresponds to the size of nudibranch so it's quite a large sea slug (about 8-12 inches long)

This magnificent coral looks more like a painting of a delicate flower; it really makes you appreciate the beauty that many never see that lies underwater

This magnificent coral looks more like a painting of a delicate flower; it really makes you appreciate the beauty that many never see that lies underwater

In Hollywood-style, Coron has its name in big letters above the town; you can also hike up 700  steps to the top of Mt Tapyas for a great view

In Hollywood-style, Coron has its name in big letters above the town; you can also hike up 700+ steps to the top of Mt Tapyas for a great view

Spotted cod (aka coral trout); Coron is only about 50 miles north of El Nido

Spotted cod (aka coral trout); Coron is only about 50 miles north of El Nido

Scribbled pufferfish; this solitary species contains tetrodotoxin - an extremely toxic sodium channel blocker which protects it from predators

Scribbled pufferfish; this solitary species contains tetrodotoxin - an extremely toxic sodium channel blocker which protects it from predators

The vivid colors of a nudibranch signal its predators that the animal to be preyed upon has a toxin that may become distasteful when eaten; the potency of the toxin is not lethal but is primarily focused as a chemical defense mechanism

The vivid colors of a nudibranch signal its predators that the animal to be preyed upon has a toxin that may become distasteful when eaten; the potency of the toxin is not lethal but is primarily focused as a chemical defense mechanism

Occasionally I'd see huge schools of juvenile fish like this and I'd wonder how they avoid bumping into each other; I guess the claustrophobic fish leave the security of the school and probably get eaten (survival of the fittest)

Occasionally I'd see huge schools of juvenile fish like this and I'd wonder how they avoid bumping into each other; I guess the claustrophobic fish leave the security of the school and probably get eaten (survival of the fittest)

This is the entrance to Twin Lagoon which allowed barely enough room to snorkel; the Coron island hopping tours featured many cool geologic formations and they weren't that far from Coron town

This is the entrance to Twin Lagoon which allowed barely enough room to snorkel; the Coron island hopping tours featured many cool geologic formations and they weren't that far from Coron town

A field of black long spine sea urchins; for those who forgot to bring water shoes these sea urchins were everywhere and convinced tourists to buy or rent a pair

A field of black long spine sea urchins; for those who forgot to bring water shoes these sea urchins were everywhere and convinced tourists to buy or rent a pair

A banded Friant's sea star with a pattern more appropriately found on a snake; it was fascinating to see how species differed just in the short distance between Coron and El Nido

A banded Friant's sea star with a pattern more appropriately found on a snake; it was fascinating to see how species differed just in the short distance between Coron and El Nido

Sea squirt couple; in the van both coming and going from the airport in Coron the driver had an old Kenny Rogers CD playing (I wonder if it was the only CD he had)

Sea squirt couple; in the van both coming and going from the airport in Coron the driver had an old Kenny Rogers CD playing (I wonder if it was the only CD he had)

This is the main road in Coron (notice there are no cars); there is a hot spring nearby overlooking the sea that is quite popular but I didn't care to go

This is the main road in Coron (notice there are no cars); there is a hot spring nearby overlooking the sea that is quite popular but I didn't care to go

Purple finger coral reminds me of Thing from the Addams Family; I saw no other examples like this during my visit

Purple finger coral reminds me of Thing from the Addams Family; I saw no other examples like this during my visit

The coral gardens we visited were in excellent condition despite periodic typhoons here; the water visibility was great as this scene is probably 30 feet down

The coral gardens we visited were in excellent condition despite periodic typhoons here; the water visibility was great as this scene is probably 30 feet down

My budget lodging in Coron had an all-in-one bathroom; the room had a comfy bed and good AC so I could make do

My budget lodging in Coron had an all-in-one bathroom; the room had a comfy bed and good AC so I could make do

I encountered this enormous jellyfish while my group was having lunch; it had long tentacles and was (fortunately) the only one I saw that looked like this

I encountered this enormous jellyfish while my group was having lunch; it had long tentacles and was (fortunately) the only one I saw that looked like this

The excursions were more adventurous than I expected and required decent swimming skills; I was typically the oldest guest on each day trip

The excursions were more adventurous than I expected and required decent swimming skills; I was typically the oldest guest on each day trip

This type of golden sponge was frequently spotted in the waters around Coron; the water temperature was 82 degrees which felt refreshing but some got cold, after swimming, sitting in the shade and wind on the bangka

This type of golden sponge was frequently spotted in the waters around Coron; the water temperature was 82 degrees which felt refreshing but some got cold, after swimming, sitting in the shade and wind on the bangka

Black spotted pufferfish; Philippine peso bills start with a 20 denomination which is only about 40 US cents which is nice because you tend not to accumulate coins

Black spotted pufferfish; Philippine peso bills start with a 20 denomination which is only about 40 US cents which is nice because you tend not to accumulate coins

Barracuda; many locals have really bad teeth and/or are missing teeth, even young people

Barracuda; many locals have really bad teeth and/or are missing teeth, even young people

It can be challenging telling corals from sponges sometimes but this is the first sponge I've seen that actually looks like what one expects a sponge to be

It can be challenging telling corals from sponges sometimes but this is the first sponge I've seen that actually looks like what one expects a sponge to be

The largest (and only stadium) in Coron is not for soccer but for cockfighting; that explains why roosters are everywhere and noisy day and night

The largest (and only stadium) in Coron is not for soccer but for cockfighting; that explains why roosters are everywhere and noisy day and night

Titan triggerfish; I saw this species often but they were typically camera shy and would swim away as soon as I got close

Titan triggerfish; I saw this species often but they were typically camera shy and would swim away as soon as I got close

In addition to typical American junk food, there are Asian flavors that I'm sure my friends would try; I've discovered that locals don't eat cereal to my dismay

In addition to typical American junk food, there are Asian flavors that I'm sure my friends would try; I've discovered that locals don't eat cereal to my dismay

This featured blog entry was written by VagabondCowboy from the blog The frugal travels of a vagabond.
Read comments or Subscribe

By VagabondCowboy

Posted Sun, Mar 10, 2019 | Comments