Skip Navigation

Work, play & sail

Community Highlights Seafaring Work, play & sail

There is a general idea that yachts and sailing are a life of luxury and spending, a world reserved for the rich and/or retired. The thing is, the sea is big. Bigger than any human is, and it cares not for bank statements. In this community there are all and every kind of people out there, and there may come a moment when the super-yacht calls out to the rundown family boat for assistance, an extra liter of diesel, or a friendly smile.

There are, of course, the super-rich skippers, who will throw money at their problems and let experts solve them. There's also the average Joe, trying to make a living like everyone else, solving their problems through time and creativity... Because owning a boat is problems, never doubt that! Big and small. And the bigger the boat, the bigger the problems. But if you want to sail, you have to find a way through or around them. And we want to sail. Gerd is, well, not a rich Swiss. He's a lot closer to broke than rich. And his boat is big. So we're working on a small budget and a big ship. Lots of problems, lots of tasks. "Slowly but surely" has become the slogan for this stage of the trip.

IMG_3842.jpg

What tasks?--you may ask. Well, kind of everything! From learning to fold (flake) the sails, to making coffee and getting rid of rubbish (lots of those two)--but mainly tapping rust. That was my first task: get the anchor chain out, and start tapping the rust away. That's an euphemism for tirelessly hammering down the chain until all the flaky rust has fallen, then wirebrush it to get rid of some more. After that I had to tap the rust out of the chainplates and stanchion posts. Then the mast. And of course, I also had to clean the tools out, for we would be using them later. That was the first two days, then there was more people, and I was relieved of the chain. Mixed in-between all the maintenance tasks, there are also the projects: we are expecting to have some heavy rain on the way, so we put up a heavy tarp on the cockpit; some parts of the self-steering mechanism had rusted away, so we had to repair it. And one of the guiding principles in this boat is that when something breaks, you should aim to make it better than it was before. So the boat is a longterm project, always open for improvement.

Like paint!

Like paint!

As for the short term, we are soon ready to leave! Well, "soon". There's still several things to finish: getting the motor and electricity up and running, stitching the sails and stocking up on food, water and diesel, for example. And thinking of supplies, anyone feels like helping out for the trip? I set up a croudfunding page, for none of us has a bulky wallet, and every penny helps! So if you feel like helping an adventurer out, click here!! As for the workload, the crew's finally complete, all six of us are now in the boat! So I hope one day I can escape to nearby touristy Cochin, and see a tiny bit more of the surrounding India. But the final stretch is coming up, and it promises long working hours, well into the night. We need to make the mistakes and have the problems now, early on, when we can fix them, and not later on, when we are somewhere in the ocean! So back to work!

This featured blog entry was written by Zaspirucho from the blog Thoughts from afar.
Read comments or Subscribe

By Zaspirucho

Posted Wed, Nov 13, 2013 | India | Comments