Australian Bilateral Visa Waiver Agreements

Travel Forums Europe Australian Bilateral Visa Waiver Agreements

1. Posted by Daniel John (Budding Member 31 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!


Does anyone have any experience with Australia's bilateral visa waiver agreement with Germany? My understanding is that on top of the 90 days granted to travel within the Schengen Zone, Australians are allowed to spend an additional 90 days in Germany.

If this is the case, how does one prove, upon leaving the schengen zone, that they have not overstayed there 90 days in the Schengen zone?


2. Posted by Daniel John (Budding Member 31 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

For anyone who is interested, I emailed the Germany Embassy and was given the following reply.

"Australian citizens may enter the Schengen area as tourists or on
business without a visa and stay for up to 90 days within a period of
six months. You may not engage in any type of gainful employment. Please
make sure your Australian passport is valid at least three months longer
than your intended stay.

There is a visa waiver agreement between Germany and Australia which
allows Australians to spend up to three months in Germany, without
reference to time spent in other Schengen area countries.
Citizen from other countries needs to wait 90 days to be able to reenter
the Schengen states, but the agreement is a special agreement between
Germany and Australia and is designed for Australians travelling through
the Schengen states, who want to stay another 90 days in Germany.

You just need to make sure that you leave the Schengen area before your
first 90days are over. You need to leave the Schengen area to a non
Schengen Country such as England...then you are able again to enter
Germany for another 90 days. You would then need to remain in Germany
and depart from Germany. Make sure you get your exit stamp in your passport
before the first 90 days are over!

You are responsible to provide exit and entry dates in your passport.

Please note that this type of visa is only for holiday or visit purpose.
If you plan to work or earning money in Germany you need to apply for a
residence permit for Germany which you have to apply for either at our German
Consulate General in Sydney or at the local Alien Department (Ausländerbehörde) in
Germany shortly after your arrival.

3. Posted by KellieBarnes (Travel Guru 813 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

It's good to get that confirmation; the info I was going from was just this on Wikipedia.

Their reply makes it sound like the residence permit for work is quite easy to obtain...

4. Posted by mooney1230 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

Hi there,

i was wondering if anyone could explain whether or not my plans below are possible. I am an Australian passport holder and wish to travel around Europe for many months. i contacted the German and they advised i can stay a further 90 days regardless of other stay in other shengen countries. I can do this again as many times as i want as long as i exit the shengen zone and renter germany after that.

Here is my itinerary:

June 23 - August 23rd travelling within SCHENGEN ZONE (62 days)

August 24th - September 8th OUTSIDE SCHENGEN ZONE (16 days)

8th September - 7th October in GERMANY (30 days)

180 days from June 24th is September 19th.

i would like to re enter Germany on December the 29th. and then after that go to other shengen states. Would this be possible, and on what date could i go to other schengen states.

October 7th - December 29th = 84 days

thanks so much if anyone can help me i will be very appreciative!!