Skip Navigation

Working holiday with Asthma and Epilepsy?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Working holiday with Asthma and Epilepsy?

1. Posted by QQQRRR (Budding Member 2 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

Hello guys..

I am traveler from Taiwan..

I am going to Australia in Oct for working holiday

But I am concerning about Asthma and Epilepsy..

My situation is happened about 3 years

Now. I also had to take 3 tablets per day

There is 2 question ...

I think the answer is the same even in Taiwan

1.About the Visa,it`s probably not approve my visa because these chronic ??

2.If I bring 1 years medicine with doctor`s note(certificact)
Can i enter Australia without confiscating my medicine???

Sorry for the bad english...thanks for your helps

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5157 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

I'm very much not an expert here, but reading this page, I don't think you have much to worry about.
A WHV is a temporary visa, and Taiwan is considered a "higher risk" country, but that just means that "You must undergo a chest x-ray examination" (which is to detect tuberculosis, I seem to recall?) - that definitely isn't epilepsy related, and I very much doubt they'd worry about asthma. You do not need a comprehensive medical examination, which indicates that they don't worry about any other types of diseases.

You do need to have health insurance for your entire stay in Australia, though, and might need to prove it.

Bringing your medicines should also be fine; lots of travellers do so for various diseases, and I've never heard of this being a problem. Bringing the official recipe from your doctor definitely helps reduce the risk there.

3. Posted by QQQRRR (Budding Member 2 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

thanks for your reply,it`s helpful~~

4. Posted by Peter (Admin 6249 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

I don't think you'll have any issue with the visa.

12 months worth of medicine is a problem though. From the customs website:

Travellers are permitted to bring no more than three months supply of prescribed medicines to Australia. The medicine should be declared on arrival, in the original packaging and accompanied by a doctor’s prescription. Travellers should ensure their medication is not restricted by contacting the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

Follow that link to the customs website - it provides an email address to contact the TGA.

Once you are in Australia, you should be able to go to a doctor here and get a new prescription for medicine to use while you are in Australia.

Finding travel insurance to cover these conditions could be a challenge. I know with asthma at least, the policies seem to be willing to cover it if you haven't been to the hospital in 2 years. Not sure about epilepsy. Definitely check the fine print. Some just won't support asthma at all.

[ Edit: Edited on 28-May-2015, at 21:15 by Peter ]