Skip Navigation

Map Never Loads on my own Website

Travel Forums System Talk Map Never Loads on my own Website

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by searsba (Budding Member 4 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

I embedded a Traveller's Point map into my own website. It used to work, but lately it just keeps saying "Loading Map Data, please wait". This happens even when I have a strong connection, and on different browsers and computers. I've even removed many markers from the map thinking it would lighten it, but it still doesn't help.
The website link is as follows:
Can anyone help?

2. Posted by Peter (Admin 6257 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

Hi searsba,

I don't see the map embedded on that page at the moment. I assume you took it off? Would you be able to put it back on so I can try and find out what the problem is?

3. Posted by searsba (Budding Member 4 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

You're right Peter. I took the map off because it had been frustrating me, but I've just put it back on in hopes of finding a solution. Any advice?

4. Posted by Peter (Admin 6257 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

I just tested and it loaded the trip. (took a while mind you, but it did load)

Now, this could be because I actually fixed an issue with the embedded map after you started this thread. Is it still not loading for you?

5. Posted by searsba (Budding Member 4 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

Hi Peter,

Yes, it DID load this time, so that's great! I like making maps with Travellerspoint, but struggle with the loading time. As I mentioned in my original post, I lightened the map because I thought it might load faster. I am often with slow connections, and many of my readers as well. Any way for me to embed a "light" version of this map?

Thanks for the help!


6. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5163 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

For me it's currently hanging on "Loading map data, please wait..." - I see that initialize, and then half a second or so later I get this error in my console:
TypeError: l.lg is undefined line 59 > eval
...xr(d,h,e);var l=d[h],h=k[dc](l.gc,25E3);l.lg[E](new yr(f,h,g));Ee(function(){var...
Line 38, Col 511

I wonder if the "wpgmza_map" in the sidebar is related and interfering, also since line 59 in that JavaScript contains this warning: "You have included the Google Maps API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors."

Finally, I see something kicking off a request for, which a second later gives a 404, but also 8kb of HTML with JavaScript mixed in, which might under some conditions be interpreted. Regardless of anything else, definitely a good idea to fix whatever is trying to load that JSON.

I'd also suggest that it might be useful to test things out a bit by creating a new page containing only the Travellerspoint Map. Make certain that works, and note the performance of that page (which I suspect will be a lot better). Then one by one add the other JavaScript functionality onto this testing page, and see how much the performance decreases with each. I suspect there'll be one step where you suddenly get a massive decrease in performance (I'm eyeing your Google Translate functionality here, which I see pop up a whole lot of times, but it could be effectively anything from the facebook share to that aforementioned google maps sidebar widget...) - if that indeed happens, then you might want to consider removing this particular functionality from your maps page...

7. Posted by Peter (Admin 6257 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

It seemed to me when I was loading it that it was waiting for the other maps to load before even starting the load of our map.

The fix that I applied last week for embedded maps specifically was to address a problem with an existing Google Maps API being loaded on the page. Problem being that it was loaded without some of the flags passed in needed for our maps to work correctly. All to say, that it is definitely going to work better with less scripts embedded on the page.

8. Posted by Peter (Admin 6257 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

Ok, having investigated this more, there's no real way I can find to resolve it on my end unfortunately. Google maps have a problem with the script being loaded multiple times and that causes this issue. It ends up not knowing which script to use. Sadly they don't provide a good way to work around this.

There are two ways to fix this for your page though:

1. Remove the map in the navigation.
2. Probably the better option - update the map in the navigation as follows:

Current script (as I see it in page source)

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gmapsJsHost + "' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

Needs to be changed to:

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gmapsJsHost + "' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

It just needs that "&libraries=geometry" added to the script call. Once that's in there, our script shouldn't try to load the google maps script a second time and everything should function properly.

Let me know how it goes!

9. Posted by robmer (Full Member 105 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!


I looked at your site and the maps loaded fine and quickly. You must have fixed it.

10. Posted by Peter (Admin 6257 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

It can work sometimes, but because it's loading the two map scripts it all depends on which one loads up first. Which is fairly random.