Skip Navigation


Travel Forums North America ESTA Visa

1. Posted by kitch7217 (Budding Member 7 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!


I am travelling to north america for 3 weeks so have got an ESTA visa for that. I have another flight a few weeks later between costa rica and Columbia that stops over in north america. Do i need another ESTA for that? Since that is an in transit flight?

Many thanks !

2. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

By North America I assume you meant to say the US.

Like almost all Visa questions you fail to give any clue of your nationality so it's impossible to comment, but be forewarned that there is no "in transit" in the US. You have to legally enter the country and go through US Immigration/Customs then catch your connecting flight. Yes, it's stupid, but that's the way the US works...


[ Edit: Edited on 11-Jun-2015, at 13:29 by CheersT ]

3. Posted by kitch7217 (Budding Member 7 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm English. I already got a ESTA for when I travel in the US and one of the questions when I applied was, is your visit in transit?....this is why I was wondering if I needed 2 separate ones.

4. Posted by Andyf (Moderator 928 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

The esta website says they are typically granted for two years - check your acknowledgement but sounds like you'll be fine.

5. Posted by Calcruzer (Travel Guru 2003 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

You should be fine.

I was in Seattle less than 2 weeks ago and they even had separate lines depending upon whether you were a 1st time ESTA visitor or a 2nd or more times ESTA visitor. The "2nd or more group" were lumped in with US citizens for purposes of moving through the queue more quickly.

They also automated the process more if you are in this later line--so they have little blue kiosks where you scan your own passport and then answer the questions online before getting to where the immigration official is at--seemed to speed the process up quite a lot. (though having to go through the customs area and then back through the security scan slowed everything back down again).

6. Posted by Sandy23 (Budding Member 10 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

The ESTA is valid for two years and you don’t have to have separate ESTAs for every flight so I believe that once you have the authorization to travel, and you have paid the fees etc., you will be fine to travel in the US then to travel in transit a few weeks later. Make sure that you have all your onward travel documents in order for a quick passage through immigration – you need the proof of your flight out of the country. The US handles a massive amount of transit flights so it is not unusual. Another thing to remember when traveling in the US is to get your travel insurance up to date.