A year in the States

Travel Forums North America A year in the States

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post This thread is marked as being about USA
1. Posted by Chantelle3 (Budding Member 2 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone,

I've started to plan a 12 month trip in the US and I'm trying to get my head around how to go about it. I'd like to be able to work full or part time (for both money and meeting people) and have therefore been looking at working visas. I'm a bit confused because from what I have read so far, it sounds like you need to secure a job for them to be your sponsor. Is this the only way to go about working in the US??

Ideally I'd like a visa accepted then find work once I'm out there, to keep it a chilled experience. I'd just be after something sociable like bar work or working in hotels. Although I've visited many countries, I've never worked abroad or needed to apply for a visa. I have no idea where to go for official advice on this, can anybody shed any light on it?

I wouldn't want to stay in one place any longer than 3 months (depending on how it goes) and move around the cities a bit. I'm assuming a visa allows me to work in any state?

Also I'd be looking to rent a room in people's homes as my form of accommodation for the year. Can anyone recommend any trusted well know websites where people advertise for this?

Generally any advice on working whilst travelling would be great!

Thanks very much!


2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5357 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

I'd basically forget about it. The USA doesn't want you. Travel through the USA as a tourist for the maximum allowed three months, and then go spend a full year in Canada, Australia or New Zealand on a Working Holiday Visa. (Supremely easy to get for Australia and New Zealand; the Canadian ones unfortunately are in short supply, so you need to apply within a very short period when they open up a new batch each year (less than an hour for UK residents, I think I saw last year? *checks* 12 minutes, precisely... and 2 minutes for round two), but at least that's possible - as opposed to the process for getting a general work visa for the USA.)

[ Edit: Edited on 21-Oct-2015, at 13:43 by Sander ]

3. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Ditto Sander... you can't just show up at the border at most (so called) developed nations and just wander around for a year, working when you wish. There's always immigration/ bureaucratic hoops to jump through, and rightfully so.

Good luck with your research.


4. Posted by rabudman (Inactive 31 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

These guys don't know what they're talking about...lol

Maybe "Sander" and "CheersT" made up these fake travel profiles lol

Moderator comment: please see Forum Rules

[ Edit: Post edited--but it is obvious to me that rabudsman better get his/her act together before we delete all his/her posts. Link to Forum Rules added. ]

5. Posted by CheersT (Inactive 2578 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Dear rabudman,

Instead of posting like a stupid, raving idiot why don't you reply with a simple, concise and accurate why our opinions were incorrect.

Oh wait... let me answer my own question... the reason you can't do that because you're wrong. Period.

Carry on.


6. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5357 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Quoting rabudman

These guys don't know what they're talking about...

If there is an moderately doable, generally accessible way for a traveller to come live and work in the USA for a year, please enlighten us. There's thousands upon thousands of people who'd love to about hear it.

As for the rest of your post, please refresh your memory of the forum rules. Personal attack are not welcome here.

7. Posted by AndyF (Moderator 1522 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

I had a look at rabudman's profile, laughed lots when i saw he says he knows nothing about visas and immigration.

The guys said what I would have, but they got there first : working is a non-starter, and 3 months as a tourist is all you get.

8. Posted by therook (Budding Member 37 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

If you have got a clean record and like kids you could probably apply to get a visa working at a summer camp (very common for UK folks) and then travel after if obtaining a tourist visa was possible as well. I worked at a summer camp some years ago and there were lots of foreign counselors (UK, German, Hungarian, etc).

9. Posted by katzgar (Inactive 220 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!


looks like you need to copy and paste

[ Edit: Edited on 26-Oct-2015, at 15:59 by katzgar ]

10. Posted by Garminbozia (First Time Poster 1 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Has anyone heard of the website www.helpx.net ? It's work exchange. You live at someones house and they feed you but you work for them. I have not used it but I have skimmed though it. A lot of them seem to be farms. I also heard that a lot of people from Europe use it. I did not hear anything about them needing a visa. I don't imagine you would need one to stay at someones house while you work for them. You do not get paid. You just get a place to live and food. Check out the site! You can email the one's who provide work and a place to stay. And you do not have to stay in one place!