Skip Navigation

how can I move to new york

Travel Forums General Talk how can I move to new york

1. Posted by sesame (First Time Poster 1 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi all,
I'm new to this place and wondering if anyone can give me some help. I graduate from uni in a matter of weeks (scary!) and then plan to work until christmas. What I really really want to do after christmas is move to New York city to live prob for about 6-9 months but you never know, if I really like it then maybe for ever! I just don't have any idea how to go about this, how to find a job or apartment or anything. Should I do it all myself or find a company or organsiation?
I'll gain a degree in English literature, will that be any help on the job front or should I not expect much?


2. Posted by IMonaghan (Respected Member 431 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!


I've got a plan... I'll marry you and bring you over to the US for a year. After which I can use your UK citizenship to move over there..

Seriously though, finding a US visa to come over is tough to do. My best suggestion would be looking in to the 0-1 Extraordinary ability or H2B Skilled worker visas. I'm not sure if you will qual for the 0-1 or not... Sadly both have pretty long waiting lists as well.

Sadly the US does not have any kind of working holiday visa set up, making it tough for people in your situation to come over and work. Another option is to get on with a company that has a branch in the US and try to get transferred over that way... Having a company sponsor you seems to be the most straightforward way of getting to the states to live that I know of.

3. Posted by Cupcake (Travel Guru 8468 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hahaha! I know two people that went the 'marry a citizen' way...and it seemed like the easiest of their choices. :) Good Luck to you the way I have many single friends;)