(Urgent) Australian UK Youth Mobility and Schengen Visa

Travel Forums Europe (Urgent) Australian UK Youth Mobility and Schengen Visa

1. Posted by Nastylilweed (First Time Poster 1 posts) 1y Star this if you like it!

Hey everyone,

I'm an Australian currently travelling in Europe with my partner (Austria and UK citizen). I have been searching for an answer to this question for a while now with very varied results.

I have a valid 24month UK Youth Mobility Visa. I am under the impression that this will allow me to travel in Europe (EU and Schengen) as I was a UK citizen (as under the visa I am in the UK as a resident).

My partner and I are house sitting in Europe for an extended period of time, well past the 90 Day Schengen visa limit. Am I going to run into issues with this?

I have had mixed responses from various sources...

Australian Consulate (Berlin)
Yes I am fine, being a UK resident grants me travel rights the same as UK citizens.

Schengen Organisation
Yes I am fine to travel throughout Europe for 90+ days.

Various internet sources
Yes I am fine.

Other various internet sources
No. I am not fine at all and I am limited to the 90 day Schengen Visa limit.

Does anyone know what the actual answer to this is? With experience? It's incredibly confusing. To complicate matters my partner and I would like to reside in Europe (probably Germany) after our travels and find employment. I don't want some stupid visa mix up to impact our future life plans!!!

Any accurate realise help or guidance would be amazing.

Thanks in advance,,


2. Posted by AndyF (Moderator 1826 posts) 1y Star this if you like it!

I see you've had no replies so I'll give this a bump.

The normal advice would be to talk to the embassy or consulate. You've done that and had reassurance from them, so I don't know how advice from random people on a travel forum is going to firm things up for you. Sounds like you're got the definitive answer already.