Vaccinations before travelling

Travel Forums Asia Vaccinations before travelling

1. Posted by mrcawdell (First Time Poster 1 posts) 12w Star this if you like it!

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but i'm still a little unclear after hours of research so i figured best bet was to ask.

Myself and my partner travel to SE Asia for 4 months on 20th October.

We went to get our vaccinations at our local NHS clinic and were told they couldnt provide them and gave us a list of places to try.

We rung the first on the list and they said yes we have them so we booked in an appointment, both turned up and got Rabies and Jap Enph jabs and before leaving were hit with a HUGE bill of £600. I was absolutely stunned I couldnt believe it. We had had the jabs so we couldnt argue we just assumed the nhs were sending us to other nhs clinics not private.

Can anyone advise how to get our jabs through the nhs, or as many as possible through the nhs? We've worked out using rates online that it's going to cost us over £1500 for all and we just simply cannot afford it as we did not budget for it

Can anyone help? I really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

2. Posted by berner256 (Moderator 1070 posts) 12w Star this if you like it!

As someone who has traveled extensively in Southeast Asia and elsewhere, I have never had shots for Japanese encephalitis nor rabies. I suspect the shots you got weren't essential. But talk to your primary care physician.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has global operations, has a wealth of information. See these links:

Private travel clinics and local-government health clinics in the U.S. often charge a consulting fee (usually around US$75 for passing out printed information from the CDC) before giving a shot. That same information is available on the CDC Web site.

When I need a boost of the typhoid vaccine, I simply ask my primary-care physician to write a prescription for the pill form of the vaccine and fill it at my local pharmacy. It's as simple as that in the U.S.

Depending on where you plan to go, you might need to get an antimalarial, such as atovaquone/proguanil or doxycycline. Talk to your doctor about what he or she recommends.

Other that that, your best protection is to prevent insect bites. Wear long-sleeve shirts, particularly at dawn and dusk; and when you are in shaded areas, particularly while standing. If you like, wear insect-repellent. I sometimes use picaridin.

Some countries in Africa and Latin America require proof of yellow-fever vaccination for entry. In the U.S. it currently is very difficult and very expensive to obtain the vaccine. A new type is becoming available; but it, too, is likely to be costly. Happily, the World Health Organization says that a booster shot after the initial one 10 years earlier is no longer necessary. But it will take time for some governments to recognize this. See this link:

[ Edit: Edited on 17-Sep-2018, at 15:39 by berner256 ]

3. Posted by leics2 (Respected Member 448 posts) 12w 1 Star this if you like it!

The OP is in the UK.

>we just assumed the nhs were sending us to other nhs clinics not private.

It's a pity you didn't check your facts. The NHS clinic provided a list of reputable clinics where you could get immunisations which are not provided free by the NHS. Most aren't (see below).

>Can anyone advise how to get our jabs through the nhs, or as many as possible through the nhs?

The NHS provides some, but not all, of the immunisations advised for each country on the official site:

Some are provided free because the diseases exist or have existed in the UK (that includes typhoid and tetanus) but many are not because the diseases are not encountered here.

The NHS is funded by UK taxpayers and its purpose is to provide free-at-the-point-of-delivery medical treatment in the UK. Travel immunisations are not medical treatment....they're preventatives for things you might encounter outside the UK.. So it's perfectly fair and absolutely right that we have to pay privately for most of them. Their cost should form part of a trip budget,

Check out the countries you're visiting using the official site above. Contact your GP's practice or a travel clinic such as Boots to find out which are provided free and which are not. Some NHS GPs/ clinics can also provide the paid-for ones (and you'll have to pay for them) but generally it's best to go to a specialist travel clinic such as those on the list you received.

[ Edit: Edited on 17-Sep-2018, at 23:20 by leics2 ]