Future travel

Travel Forums General Talk Future travel

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by ToonSarah (Travel Guru 1212 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

A friend asked this question on Facebook and I thought it was a good one. One day this crisis will end and borders will re-open and planes will fly again. But how willing will you be to travel? Immediately; after a couple of months when things settle down; after perhaps six months or a year when you feel safe?

2. Posted by AndyF (Moderator 1993 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

I guess it depends on the circumstances. If there's a vaccine, one that's considered reliable, then fine.

If they're screening people with an antibody test prior to flying, again I'd fly. If the antibody test is on arrival at the country, I'd be less happy.

3. Posted by Alain13 (Respected Member 128 posts) 6w 1 Star this if you like it!

I think my next travel will be inside my country in France, probably this summer. Won't take the plane. I'd rather go for one or two weeks hiking in the Alps or in the Pyrenees. Will wait until Automn before going far away from home.

4. Posted by leics2 (Travel Guru 1269 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

As soon as things start getting back to normal I'll be sorting out a visit to family in the US but in order to get a decent fare I suspect I'll still need to book at least 3-4 months in advance.

I'll certainly be off for several short UK breaks as soon as we can travel freely. :-)

5. Posted by ToonSarah (Travel Guru 1212 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

For myself, I have a flight booked to Chicago in September and if the borders are open and there's no specific warning about travel to the US I will take it (as long as I can get a visa sorted, but that's a whole other problem). My husband and I would like to get away in October too, if feasible, but where we go will depend on where looks a) safe and b) not extortionately costly!

6. Posted by Borisborough (Moderator 1507 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

This holiday's done. Our next one is July and I don't think we'll be out of it by then. Then we have one in September - we might be able to get away to somewhere in the South Pacific if we're lucky. The problem is not just finding somewhere open to go to but also being allowed back into the country afterwards. I have a feeling NZ will have mandatory 14-day quarantine for many months to come and I won't have the time to spend 10 days away followed by another 14 in quarantine. So December might possibly be my next holiday - or not!

7. Posted by berner256 (Moderator 1355 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

As soon as possible; and whatever is open and readily accessible.

A friend and I have booked a seven-week cruise to Norway, Spitzbergen, Iceland, etc. It's scheduled to leave early June from Amsterdam. The voyage hasn't been canceled but I suspect it might be. I've previously been to most of the places on the cruise, except for Spitzbergen, the Scilly Isles and the Channel Islands.

A May 23 wedding for friends was postponed until Oct. 3 so I have to be home for that.

I'm thinking of visiting family in Hawaii in late August.

Already in the works is a fall trip with a driver and guide to Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram. I also might visit Bangladesh.

For winter, I'm considering the northern tier of countries in South America such as Colombia, Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana (perhaps exiting via northern Brazil). Also thinking of Africa, with several possibilities there.

But, as I've discovered over the years, the best laid plans can go awry. So . . . .

[ Edit: Edited on 12-Apr-2020, 10:39 GMT by berner256 ]

8. Posted by hennaonthetrek (Respected Member 248 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

I dont have time off from work later on the year, I might be able to squeeze week off here or there but that depends solely on my co-workers willingness to cover for me..
Realistically I am going to travel next time on summer -21, everything would probably been blown over by then.

IF it would be possible to me to go when I want I think I would like to monitor things at least for an month after the borders are open again and see how everything is going before travelling again. After that depending on the cost of the flights, accommodations and possible new border-crossing regulations I would go as soon as I can.

So basically what I am trying to say when everything is again cheap-ish and safe-ish

9. Posted by Vic_IV (Respected Member 109 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

I think I will be able to travel outside my country in a year.
We all have to be realists.
In the meanwhile, we might try exploring some nice new places in our country, God willing.
Happy trails to everyone!

10. Posted by Cottonwood (Full Member 178 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

I have a definite "maybe" trip to Arizona in November for a week, but, until then, I ain't going anywhere.....All Though, I would really like to do a trip to Costco 81 miles from where I live and I don't know when I can even do THAT trip...a day trip, but a trip never the less.