will corona kill my plans?

Travel Forums Europe will corona kill my plans?

Page
  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by 1submarine (First Time Poster 1 posts) 4w Star this if you like it!

Hey there - I hope you all are well and healthy! I have a trip planned for later this year, late September into early Octpber. I’m planning to travel to England & France, from the US. What are we thinking? Should I start thinking of canceling this trip? Or still too early to panic? I’m not normally indecisive, but hoping for a consensus opinion to help make my decision. I really, really want to take this trip. Thanks for your help!

2. Posted by AndyF (Moderator 1994 posts) 4w Star this if you like it!

My partner and I just discussed it, we live in England, and we have absolutely no idea.

3. Posted by leics2 (Travel Guru 1269 posts) 4w 2 Star this if you like it!

There is no need for anyone to panic.

And there is absolutely no need for you to make any decisions at all yet. September/October is far too far away for anyone to have any valid idea about what the situation will be in the UK, France, the US or anywhere else. A consensus opinion on here at this time is no more use than gazing into a crystal ball.

Wait until late August, see what the situation is at that time and then you can make an *informed* decision.

4. Posted by karazyal (Travel Guru 2450 posts) 4w Star this if you like it!

For September or October I personally would not book the flights right now. I would wait a while to see how this virus thing works out. For the US, my opinion, don't expect the rhetoric and panic on this present virus to die down until after the election is over.

Up to you.

5. Posted by ToonSarah (Travel Guru 1212 posts) 4w Star this if you like it!

If you don't already have flights and/or accommodation booked I would hold off doing so for now. But if you do have reservations my advice would be not to cancel them. If you do so and then find you could have travelled you will regret it, and also if you make the decision to cancel you won't get any compensation, whereas if it proves that travel still isn't feasible and your flights are cancelled by the airline, you won't lose any money.

If it helps, the current scientific advice here in the UK is that we are likely to face some forms of social distancing for the rest of the calendar year, and that hotels, pubs and restaurants will be among the last places to reopen. If that proves true you would be ill-advised to come, but who knows how things will change?! I would sit tight for now - just as I am doing with my own planned trip to the US (Chicago) in September.

6. Posted by Teoni (Travel Guru 926 posts) 4w Star this if you like it!

You have some good advice here. Personally I don't think international borders will be re opened in your time frame especially between the US and Europe. EU countries might tentatively open borders with each other but I don't think they will allow from further afield for a long time yet. I would come up with domestic plan B trip so at least you can still do some travelling.

7. Posted by leics2 (Travel Guru 1269 posts) 4w 1 Star this if you like it!

> EU countries might tentatively open borders with each other but I don't think they will allow from further afield for a long time yet.<

It's not quite as straightforward as that.

It is the external borders of the 26 Schengen countries (most are in the EU but some are not) which are closed to non-Schengen citizens or residents of other EU/EAA countries who are returning home) and not the external borders of all EU countries. Non-Schengen EU countries have their own restrictions in place and these vary from country to country. There are, for example, no restrictions on non-citizens entering the UK or the Republic of Ireland (Ireland is an EU country and the UK is still in its transition period).

There is, imo, absolutely no point in speculating or just assuming that things won't have changed by late September/October.

[ Edit: Edited on 24-Apr-2020, 17:07 GMT by leics2 ]

8. Posted by Beausoleil (Travel Guru 1447 posts) 4w Star this if you like it!

Hi. We long ago booked a trip to France in late September-early October. We are just waiting to see how the summer goes. We had a May trip that we did cancel, but September is just too far away to know. Places are starting to open up and a lot will depend on how they fare. If there is a second wave and consequent shutdown, it probably will be necessary to cancel our Sept.-Oct. trip but there is no way to know unless we simply wait and see what happens.

We've prepaid gites (holiday cottages) in rural France and probably won't get that back but perhaps will be able to reschedule if the owners are willing. If not, we lose . . . but we live. We will probably get a voucher for the flight so not worried about that one. We had a couple hotels booked and will be able to cancel those without penalty. If you have a cancellation option in your accommodations, I'd wait until the last possible minute to see how things are going.

As mentioned above, if the pubs and restaurants (and museums and attractions) are still closed, it won't be a very good vacation. So my vote is to wait a while to see what happens in the world. Anyway, that's what we're doing.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

[ Edit: Edited on 24-Apr-2020, 19:03 GMT by Beausoleil ]

9. Posted by Zofia Malicka (Budding Member 2 posts) 4w 1 Star this if you like it!

If the trip is planned only for October, I think you can still wait for the situation to develop. Until then, things can change a lot. On your site subject to analysis, it was developed by the hotel, which is the principle of cancellation and whether you can include reservations for another date if necessary. This situation is not your fault and I think that everyone must understand and there will be no problem with a possible refund or change the term :)

10. Posted by elisha123 (Inactive 1 posts) 3w Star this if you like it!

Better you cancel your plans. and postpone for next time.