Travelling from England

Travel Forums Round the World Travel Travelling from England

1. Posted by Eveeoliviaworth (First Time Poster 1 posts) 1y Star this if you like it!

Hello ! My names Evee
I’m currently a barmaid and I’m looking on moving to Asia
I haven’t studied in university but I want to know how I can get a job . I am willing to do anything .

2. Posted by AndyF (Moderator 2778 posts) 1y Star this if you like it!

Working is a problem in most countries, as you're a relatively rich westerner taking jobs away from locals.

3. Posted by leics2 (Travel Guru 5319 posts) 1y Star this if you like it!

>I’m looking on moving to Asia .....I want to know how I can get a job

Apart from the morality of the issue, as Andy mentions above, you have to be aware of the legalities.

The vast majority of countries do not allow non-citizens to take paid work (payment can be in kind i.e. bed & board as well as cash) unless they have a work visa or permit. Work visas and permits usually need to be obtained before travelling to a country. You will need to check the embassy or consulate of each country you might want to visit to find out what their rules are. Google the country name + 'embassy UK'. Almost all embassy websites have English language pages with information about visas etc.

If a country requires all non-citizens to have a work visa or permit when working (for payment in cash or in kind), working without the correct documentation is illegal and can give you serious problems (including being deported which can cause serious problems with future travel to many countries). Working illegally is risky in itself: people who are willing to break the law and employ people without the correct legal documentation are rarely pleasant to work for (as can be seen in the UK and many other countries).

You might look into getting a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) qualification? This would allow you to take teaching jobs in non-English-first-language countries, though many now require you to have a university degree as well. Google 'TEFL providers UK' for info.

[ Edit: Edited on 16 Dec 2021, 19:33 GMT by leics2 ]