Live in AMerica

Travel Forums North America Live in AMerica

1. Posted by Oubah (Budding Member 2 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!


I would like to have advice about the schooling in USA. I plane to go there for professional stay and also linguistic stay May to August.

However, I have 3 children scholorized in primary school in France. I like to go with them. SO, I have to justify their education in USA.

Two big deals: the process and time. I plane to do reservation as soon as possible or maybe quickly but my thoughts aren't clear.

First, i don t sure if i need a visa to go there.
Second, for schooling, I need what? Vaccinations of children, proof of adress. I don't know regarding the security number equivalent the social security number in France.

Second, the timing. We finish the school late than the USA. Then, It will be a schooling for two or one month?

Finaly, the level in english ef my chidren is not good. Can they started dircetly with others USA pupils? or is there existing some catwalk?

Thank you for your answers.


2. Posted by leics2 (Travel Guru 5321 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

> i don t sure if i need a visa to go there.

It seems you live in France but what is your citizenship (your passport)? That is an essential piece of information when asking about visas.

And what do you mean by 'professional stay'? Do you want to work or do business in the US? Or study?

If you answer those questions I'll be able to give more advice.

If you want to live, work or study in the US you will almost certainly need a visa.

There's no point in asking or answering questions about your children's education until you have a) been granted a visa and b) been granted a visa which allows your children to come with you.

[ Edit: Edited on 17 Apr 2023, 08:11 GMT by leics2 ]

Post 3 was removed by a moderator
4. Posted by Oubah (Budding Member 2 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

Thank you for your anwers.

I am French. I will come to visit an university to collaborate one or two months.

My children are also french.

Thank you so much

5. Posted by leics2 (Travel Guru 5321 posts) 6w 1 Star this if you like it!

Thank you for the additional information.

As a French citizen you can enter the USA for up to 90 days with an online Esta visa waiver but only for tourism or visiting family/friends. You cannot study or work in the US with an Esta. You must have a full visa to do either.

This page from the official US Embassy in France website tells you about different visa types and how to apply for them:

The same site is available in French:

If you will only be in the US for a couple of months it is very unlikely indeed that you'll get a visa which also allows your children to enter. They will each be able to enter on their own Esta but almost certainly won't be able to enrol at a school.

The university where you want to collaborate should be able to advise about and assist with the appropriate visa. I suggest you contact them directly.

[ Edit: Edited on 17 Apr 2023, 14:38 GMT by leics2 ]

6. Posted by Psamathe (Budding Member 385 posts) 6w 1 Star this if you like it!

Quoting Oubah

I am French. I will come to visit an university to collaborate one or two months.

My children are also french.

For one or two months (4-8 weeks) is it worth changing your children's school? Time to settle-in, different curriculum, different text books, etc. only to then return them back to their original school a few weeks later.

I've no experience with children but I wonder (assuming they can't stay in France whilst you are away) if getting their current school to set a number of subjects and text books and then try and find a private tutor in the US to help them with their work as set by the French School?

Will you get free schooling in the US or be expected to pay?

Just asking the questions rather than suggesting things.


7. Posted by goodfish (Full Member 303 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

Oubah, in addition to the visa challenges presented in the previous posts, American children will be out of school for the summer in June and July, and most will be out in August as well, depending on the school. Starting them at the end of a school year, when they'd be missing large parts of that year's planned curriculum, would be awkward and very probably more frustrating to them AND their teachers than beneficial. Without having progressed through more of that curriculum, they'd be 'left behind' from the get-go. Lack of proficiency in English wouldn't help.

There wouldn't be time to ramp them up in a school's ESL program, and you would have to figure out district transport. Honestly, as much as you want them with you, it doesn't make sense to try and put them into a U.S. school for such a short time. It would be much easier on all of you to have them come for summer holiday when their school in France is finished for the year.

That said, this might be a good opportunity for your kids to work on their English skills? You could look into summer ESL programs or hire a private tutor.

8. Posted by greatgrandmaR (Travel Guru 2420 posts) 6w Star this if you like it!

I think that having your children's school give them work to do remotely from France would be a good idea rather than putting them in a regular school in the USA.

Also depending on their age and grade in school, you might be able to put them in a summer school program in July to maybe study English. The university that you are going to may be able to suggest something here.

Or maybe they could attend some kind of summer camp - it depends a lot on their ages. There are specialty camps for various sports and day camps and overnight camps. If the children are in Scouting (Boy Scouts/Girl Guides) that may be one possibility.

I'd have to know their ages to be more specific.

9. Posted by Beausoleil (Travel Guru 1903 posts) 5w Star this if you like it!

Each USA state handles school schedules differently but nearly all of them will not have school during the months of June and July and at least part of August. If you will be at a university, ask them about summer camps for children. Most universities have summer camps in different subjects like computer, art, music, nature studies, etc. These camps are for all ages of children and are usually educational and lots of fun. Our kids all attended music camps and loved it. It would be a good chance to help your children learn English and make some friends in the USA.

Please ask the folks at the university for assistance. They should be able to help you. You will also need to check your French Embassy for their requirements. The university where you are studying/working/? should have a department with a lot of answers for you. Contact their Human Resources Department and ask them who can help you.