Skip Navigation

1. Posted by Hay (Budding Member 27 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hello my boyfriend and I are interested in the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms).

It is an association where you work, providing on what kind of skills you have on an Organic Farm. You do not get paid for the work, but instead are provided with food and accomodation.

My boyfriend and i are interested in wwoofing in New Zealand or Australia for a couple of weeks.

Has any one on here done it before and can tell me a bit about their experiences?

Do you need to get a Visa?

As we are only looking to do it for a couple of weeks - i would rather not get a 12 month working Visa and have it wasted on just 2 weeks. Or could we just use a Tourist Working Holiday Visa instead?

Any help and advise is welcome!!

2. Posted by AlexT (Respected Member 245 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

In Australia you will definately need a visa... I think the WHV will siffice...

3. Posted by scotsman (Respected Member 128 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!


Have a nosey at the immigration website to see if you can do volunteer work on a 3-month tourist visa. I wouldn't see why you couldn't but best to check it out anyway.

Good Luck


4. Posted by ernie (Full Member 33 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

My boyfriend and I did some WOOFING in OZ for 3 months on just a tourist visa. Its an interesting program. Some of the experiences were unforgetable and some I wish we could forget. Like all good intentioned programs, there is always going to be the people who take advantage of others who are 'willing'. Just be sure you ask a lot of questions on the phone when you call the farms like 'how many hours of work are expected?', 'what kind of work do you need help with this season?', 'What are the accomodation conditions?', and tell them of any special diet restrictions. Don't be afraid to ask. If you don't ask you might be unplesantly suprised.
All that said..I'd still recomend doing it. Even at it's worst times it was at least an adventure. I think we had a more true Austrailian experience than a lot of the hostel jumpers we periodicly traveled with.

5. Posted by magykal1 (Travel Guru 2026 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi - I really enjoyed Wwoofing and I'd like to point out that you definitely don't need a working holiday visa, any holiday visa will do.

Did one on a tropical flower farm near mission beach, one on a berry farm in Tasmania, they were both really good.

6. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

I'll chime in and say definitely no working holiday visa needed and seeing as you can only get that one once in your life, best to 'save' it :)