Visa russia

Travel Forums Europe Visa russia

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Russia
1. Posted by ruudC (Budding Member 5 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!


I like to travel to Russia for 3 - 3,5 weeks but I don't know what kind of visa is the best for me and where I can get that, as cheap as possible of course ;)
I heard that a tourist visa is just for max 14 days, is that true?
Otherwise I can take a business visa maybe?
And I also need an invitation isn't it?
Another problem maybe is that I don't want to plan my trip day to day in advance. But I heard that you have to do that to get a visa.
Is here somebody who van help me, or knows a good cheap office for me?

Ruud (Holland)

2. Posted by Gelli (Travel Guru 2457 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Hey Ruud,

An excellent source of info on Russian visas is, and i'd recommend looking there.


- yes you need an invitation, which does cost
- despite what they want you to think, you don't have to plan so far ahead. You only really need to have the first couple of nights booked.
- A tourist visa is either 28days or 1 month (same difference really). Very hard to extend though, so get longer than you think you'll need to cover yourself. It is also single entry (Many people get caught out bvy taking quick side trips to places like Ukraine or Belarus and then can't get back in)
- Business visa's are useful, can last longer and are multiple entry, but are expensive and need a specific business invitation in order to get one
- Regardless of which visa you get, get it well ahead (much cheaper if you let it take 8days or longer).

Anything else you want to know, just ask/PM me.
Have a great time.

3. Posted by ruudC (Budding Member 5 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

4. Posted by wolfluck (First Time Poster 1 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Dear Tourists!


Please be informed:
In order do not have problems to go back You must register your visa withing 3 business days or 72 hours all functions of registration are taken by new - passport and visa registration service of Police. By Russian law you must register your visa by yourself if you are not staying at a hotel. So I recommend: if you are not staying at a hotel and leave in a big city it would be easier to pay for one night of stay in a hotel in order to register your visa(it is very important that the registration is put on the paper which given to you at the airport on arrival (please keep this paper in your passport)). If you are staying in some village(or city) then take special letter from the company invited you and go to the local police to register. Please always keep your Invitation and voucher with you.

Alexei Chuprin the manager of Russian agency Voyage-Torg-Service.
(deleted URL)

If somebody have any questions please ask me at (deleted mail address) as I lived one year in Tacoma and would love to answer!

[ Edit: Sorry no promo links or personal contact info in the forums ]

5. Posted by JRC410 (Budding Member 3 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


Actually, you could just use a visa service so you would not have to worry about booking a hotel or going through the registration process yourself. In all of my trips to Russia I have NEVER registered the visa. I use a service called Go To Russia: Tourist visa is fine, will last for 1 month. But if you intend to go back, definitely go for the business visa, so you can enter as much as you want (I think they are for 3 years?).

Incidentally, the web site I mentioned before can get you the visa as well, so it really is a one shot deal. I have been to this region about 10 times, and never had any difficulty with a visa registration.

Good luck and have fun...maybe I'll see you--I'm going back again in 3 days!