Skip Navigation

Moving Advice!

Travel Forums Europe Moving Advice!

1. Posted by BrightStar (First Time Poster 1 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hello, this is my first time on here. My friend lives in Witney, England. I would really like to move there with my almost 2 year old son. I am 21 and I do not have a degree or any "skills" but would like to get a visa and a work permit. Does anyone know the best way for me to do that? Which visa would be best? Thanks!

2. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

as a fellow American I can sympathize with you and try to offer some advice.

First off - i have been researching this for years (movin to the UK)
and it is soo hard to do that i gave up for a long time.

Something that will help is if u have any family from the UK or even Europe?

If not then your only options are to get skills that are in demand, go to University and get trained in things like IT or Nursing and then even that is a LOooOOooONG shot.

U could always work illegally at a bar or pub but then u will have Visa problems garaunteed eventually. And a bank account will be hard without a Flat (apartment) and a Flat will be hard to get without a Visa....never-ending cycle!!!

Or turn on ur charm and U can marry someone in the UK. ;)

or do what i did:

Attend University here, Im studying my MSC in Scotland and will be applying for the Fresh Talent Initiative that awards Non-EU nationals a UK work Visa for any type of work for 2 years. I have found a fulltime job and currently settled here in Scotland.

hope this helps.

there are alot of Americans living here so others are finding away to leave the House of Baby Bush - goodluck!

3. Posted by JSMc (First Time Poster 1 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

If someone wouldn't mind, I'd like some more facts and suggestions on moving to England. I really have to get out of this country. Things here, in my opinion, have gotten way out of hand and I'm sick of it all. I need information about getting a visa, work permit, apartment, job, ect. I currently work for the United States Postal Service. Maybe I could get a job with the British Postal Service? I don't know! Anyone have advice for me?

4. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

sorry mate,
I was fed up long ago and saw the only way to do was becoem a student - u make connections that way. i met an America i who got a BUNAC visa - try them - see if u quailify. British Postal Service would be way to hard - its a Govt job ya know.

Gettin a Flat here (apartment) in most cases you would need a visa. to get a bank account u need a flat. so its all tied in together.

if u have a professional job skill - u might get a work permit but u need serious job skills and alot of luck. best to find an employer in the US first that has a UK office - I worked freelance web design for ages until finally made the right connections - but im also a student here and get a student visa so it was easier.

good luck everyone - get out while u stil can.
im not gna go back til the blue states win.